Trends Supporting Multi-Modalism
• Motor vehicle saturation.
12,000 • Aging population.
Per Capita Annual Vehicle Mileage
US • Rising fuel prices.
• Increased urbanization.
• Increased traffic and
6,000 parking congestion.
• Rising roadway
construction costs and
return from increased
1940 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2003
• Environmental concerns.
• Health Concerns
Paradise is not a
it is something we
create in our own
integrated nature of
human activities and
therefore the need to
among different sectors,
jurisdictions and groups.
Sustainability planning is
to development what
preventive medicine is to
health: it anticipates and
manages problems rather
than waiting for crises to
Transport Policies Affect People’s Lives
• People spend about 90 daily minutes on travel activity.
• Households spend about 20% of their budget on transportation, so
approximately 90 minutes of each workday is devoted to financing transport.
• Vehicle parking represents about 10% of building costs and significantly affects
• Local and state governments spend hundreds of dollars annually per capita on
transportation facilities and services.
• Motor vehicle accidents are the largest single cause of fatalities for people in the
prime of life (between 5 and 50 years of age).
• Motor vehicles are major contributors to air, noise and water pollution, and so
affect public health, community livability and ecological integrity.
• People who spend more time driving are more likely to be overweight, and
people with long commutes tend to experience less satisfaction in life.
• The quality of mobility and accessibility significantly affect people’s opportunities