GAMES & APPS IN 2012 Part 1 of 5 ‘So, You Want a Mobile App?’ Read this first!App & Game 2012: Part 1
5 THINGS TO CONSIDER1. Smartphones Rule2. Android is King3. Apps vs Msites: Apps are Winning4. Entertainment is in Demand5. Games & the Importance of PlayApp & Game 2012: Part 1
1. SMARTPHONES RULEAustralia has the second highest smartphone penetration in the world (1)In AUS, 45% of the population own a Smartphone; set to increase to 87% by 2015 (2)In AUS, Smartphones currently represent 65% of the total mobile phone market (3) 81% of Aussies use their smartphones at 84% of Australian online adults, who have home, while 1 in 2 use their phones while smartphones, use the device for more than watching TV (3) voice – uses that range from entertainment Above-the -line media should be used as a to information (6) trigger to CUT-THROUGH the noise and motivate consumers to reach for their Smartphones are now the most important smartphone and start engaging with your device in a consumer’s life. To CONNECT brand! with them, you have to be on it.App & Game 2012: Part 1
2. ANDROID IS KINGIn AUS, Android represents 49% of all smartphones compared to Apple’s 36% (3)In the US, Android represents 47% of all smartphones compared to Apple’s 24% (4)Globally, Android represents 52.5% of all smartphones, followed by Symbian, with 16.9% andApple with 15% (5) AUS Sales Aug ‘10 to Aug ‘11 Gone are the days of developing for Apple devices only. Android should ALWAYS be considered when developing a mobile app. Android phones are no longer ‘just for geeks’, everyone is using them, including your consumers.App & Game 2012: Part 1
3. APPS VS MSITES: APPS AREWINNINGIn AUS, the average smartphone user has 25 apps (higher than US and UK) (1)In AUS, 23% of smartphone users regularly download apps (6)In AUS, 28 million apps were downloaded between XMAS and NYE 2011 (8)In AUS, 26% use apps at least 5 times per day, while 21% use apps at least once per day (9)Global mobile app downloads are excepted to have reached 29 billion by the end of 2011, compared to only 9billion downloads at the end 2010. A massive 322% increase! (7) < Since mid-’11, in the US, mobile APP usage has surpassed mobile web and desktop combined! This trend is set to increase throughout 2012. Smartphone users will continue to favour apps over browsers (10). This represents a major shift in usage behaviour since 2010.App & Game 2012: Part 1
4. ENTERTAINMENT IN DEMANDIn AUS, 50% of users use their smartphone for entertainment, at least once weekly (6)In AUS, since 2010, there has been a significant increase in overall usage of all types ofentertainment services, with games being the clear favourite (9)In AUS, throughout 2011, 71% of smartphone users accessed an entertainment service on theirdevice in the last 12 months , up from 66% in 2010 and 64% in 2009 (9) Mobile App Advertising CTRs (13) Entertainment apps (including games) produce the highest click-through rates (CTRs) when it comes to mobile advertising (13) Why? When consumers are using an app to be entertained, they give it attention. They also view the brand supplying the entertainment favourably, allowing brands to CUT-THROUGH and CONNECT!App & Game 2012: Part 1
5. GAMES & THE IMPORTANCE OFPLAY In AUS, throughout 2011, 62% of smartphone users accessed games on their device in the last 12 months , up from 48% in 2010 (9) In Aus, 59% of smartphone owners regularly play games on their device (11) In AUS, 19% of smartphone owners access games daily (9) In the US, 49% of all mobile app usage is spent playing games (8) As a brand, if you want to engage with consumers, games are by far the most popular way to get their attention (Cut- Through), make an impact (Connect) and drive them to perform the tasks you want them to (Action)! The message is clear: Always consider games!App & Game 2012: Part 1
3RDSENSE – WHY USE US? Cost-Effective ‘Cross-Platform’ Development • We have the in-house capability to develop mobile apps for all platforms, cost-effectively. Existing Tools = Faster Development • We have a wide variety of existing tools in our development toolkit that allow us to attack projects with a head start, meaning a speedier overall development process. Experience in Games = Experts in PLAY • For the last 10 years we’ve worked on over 250 game-based projects, including a number of successful mobile apps. Nobody in Australia understands games like we do!App & Game 2012: Part 1
GET IN TOUCH Interested in discussing your mobile app development? Call or email the commercial team: 02 8923 1200 firstname.lastname@example.org 3rdsense.comApp & Game 2012: Part 1
REFERENCES1. Google Australia Blog (September, 2011)2. Digital Nation 2012, Telsyte/AIMIA, 20113. IDC’s ANZ Quarterly Mobile Devices Tracker (2011 Q3)4. iGR Research & Consumer Survey (2011)5. Gartner Research (November, 2011)6. Forrester Research: Mobile Technographics: Australian Online Shoppers (Nov, 2011)7. ABI Research (November, 2011)8. Flurry Research (January 2012)9. AIMIA Australian Mobile Phone Lifestyle Index (October, 2011)10. 5 Smartphone Usage Trends in 201211. Our Mobile Planet (2011-2012)12. Flurry Research #2 (January 2012)13. Best Practices for Maximising Mobile App Revenue (Feb, 2011)App & Game 2012: Part 1
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.