1. Jay Womack, ASLA, LEED AP Director, Sustainable Design Going Green Begins By Thinking Blue: rainwater strategies for cermak road Dan Kavanaugh, P.E. Vice President
2. Cermak Road and Blue Island Avenue Streetscape “Calle Ecologica” Phase 1 Streetscape Limits Phase 2 Streetscape Limits
3. Unfortunately, most of it goes somewhere else as Urban Runoff… Approximately 37.5” of precipitation falls on every acre of the midwest That’s equal to nearly 1,000,000 gallons of water per acre per year For Cermak Road that is roughly 16,000,000 gallons of precipitation every year
4. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ranks urban runoff and storm-sewer discharges as the fourth most prevalent source of impairment of our lakes, streams, and rivers.
5. Resulting in the Gulf of Mexico Dead Zone. This phenomena grows to approximately 8,000 square miles each spring… Each spring enormous quantities of dissolved nutrients (nitrogen) are transported from the upper Midwest into the Gulf of Mexico…
6. The intersection of Cermak and Halstead. Looking west near the intersection of Peoria and Cermak. Looking east near the intersection of Peoria and Cermak. CERMAK ROAD – EXISTING CONDITIONS
7. CERMAK ROAD – EXISTING CONDITIONS Looking east near the intersection of Racine and Cermak. Sidewalks are narrow and are in poor condition. Typical conditions along the railroad track on the south side of Cermak. There is little room for sidewalk improvements along the tracks.
8. BLUE ISLAND – EXISTING CONDITIONS Looking east on the north side of Cermak from the intersection of Paulina and Cermak. The sidewalks are wider and have ample room for planters. Existing trees will remain, where they are in good condition. Looking west on the south side of Cermak. The sidewalks are in poor condition and are in need of repair and additional landscaping.
9. STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND WATER EFFICIENCY - CERMAK ROAD NORTH SIDE
10. STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND WATER EFFICIENCY - CERMAK ROAD NORTH SIDE
11. Carex vulpinoidea fox sedge Spartina pectinata rice cut grass
12. STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND WATER EFFICIENCY – CERMAK ROAD SOUTH SIDE
13. STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND WATER EFFICIENCY - CERMAK ROAD SOUTH SIDE
14. Carex vulpinoidea fox sedge Spartina pectinata rice cut grass Physotegia virginiana false dragonhead Solidago ‘Little Lemon’ Little lemon goldenrod Equisetum scirpoides dwarf horsetail Leymus glaucus Blue lyme grass
15. STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND WATER EFFICIENCY – BLUE ISLAND AVENUE
17. Permeable pavers with smog-eating concrete will retain an SRI of .55 Bromus kalmii kalms brome Andropogon scoparius little bluestem Bouteloua curtipendula sideoats gramma Coreopsis lanceolata Sand tickseed