Iasi [jaʃʲ] is one of the largest cities and amunicipality in Romania. Located in the Moldavia region, Iași has traditionally been one of the leading centres of Romanian social, cultural, academic and artistic life. The city was the capital of the Principality ofMoldavia from 1564 to 1859, then of the Unitedprincipalites from 1859 to 1862, and the capital of Romania from 1916 to 1918.
Known as The Cultural Capital of Romania, Iași is a symbol in Romanian history. The historian Nicolae Iorga said"There should be no Romanian who does notknow of it".Still referred to as The MoldavianCapital, Iași is the seat of Iași County and the main economic centre of the Romanian region of Moldavia.
• Is home of: the first Romanian university and to the first engineering school, • it is the second largest university centre in the country and accommodates over 75,000 students in 5 public and 7 private universities. • The social and cultural life revolves around the Vasile Alecsandri National Theater (the oldest in Romania), the Moldova State Philharmonic, the Opera House, the Tătărași Athenaeum, a famous Botanical Garden (the oldest and largest in Romania), • The Central University Library(the oldest in Romania), • the high quality cultural centres and festivals, an array of museums, memorial houses, religious and historical monuments.
Located in theNorth-East of Romania,between the Iași IasiRidge (Romanian: CoastaIașilor) (the northern-most hillformation of the BârladPlateau) and the Jijia Plain. The city lies onthe Bahlui River, a tributaryof the Jijia (tributary ofthe Prut). The surroundingcountry is one of uplandsand woods, featuringmonasteries and parks. Iașiitself stands amid vineyardsand gardens, partly on hills,partly in the in-betweenvalley. It is a common belief that Iași is built on seven hills (Romanian: coline): Cetățuia, Galata, Copou-Aurora, Bucium-Păun, Șorogari, Repedea and Breazu, thus triggering comparisons withRome.
Iasi has historical monuments, 500-year-old churches and monasteries, contemporary architecture, many of them listed on the National Register of Historic Monuments, Iași is an outstanding educational center. Pieces of architecture include the Trei Ierarhi Monastery, part of the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Site, or the neo-Gothic Palace of Culture, built on the old ruins of the mediaeval Princely Court of Moldavia.
The Trei Ierarhi Monastery
The city and the surrounding areahouse more than 10 monasteries and100 historical churches.Among theoldest is Princely SaintNicholas (1491), dating from thereign of Stehen the Great, andthe Metropolitan Cathedral is thelargest of its kind in Romania.TheThree Holy Hierarchs Monastery,a unique monument, considered to bean architectural masterpiece, waserected in 1635–1639 by Vasile Lupu,and adorned with gilded carvings onits outer walls and twin towers.
The neo-Gothic Palace of Culture The Palace of Culture (Romanian: Palatul Culturii) is an edifice located in Iaşi,Romania. The building served as Administrative Palace and thenPalace of Justice until 1955, when its destination was changed again, being assigned to the four museums nowadays united under the name of Moldova National Museum Complex.
• Four other museums are located in the Palace of Culture, The Art Museum has the largest art collection in Romania, with more than 8,000 paintings, out of which 1,000 belong to the national and universal patrimony, The Moldavias History Museum, offers more than 35,000 objects from various fields, archaeology, numismatics, decorative art, ancient books, documents, The Ethnographic Museum of Moldavia owns more than 11,000 objects depicting the Romanian advance through the ages and The Science and Technology Museum with five distinct sections and one memorial house.
Also, the building houses the Cultural Heritage Conservation-Restoration Centre, themain branch of the Gheorghe Asachi Iaşi County Library and hosts various exhibitions and other events.
Iași has a diverse array of public spaces, from city squares to public parks. Begun in 1833, at the time when Iași was the capital ofMoldavia, by Prince Mihail Sturdza and under the plans of Gheorghe Asachi and MihailSingurov, Copou Parkwas integrated into the city and marks one of the first Romanian coordinated public parks. .
The oldest monument in Romania stands in the middle of the park, the Obelisk ofLions (1834), a 13.5 m (44.29 ft) tall obelisk, dedicated to the Law of Organic Rules, the first law on political, administrative and juridical organization in Romanian Principalities.
Founded in 1856, the Botanical Garden of Iași, the first botanical garden inRomania, has an area of over 100 hectares, and more than 10,000 species of plants.
Iași is home to many museums, memorial houses, art galleries. First Memorial House from Romania opened in Iași in 1918 as Ion Creangă Memorial House, and today the Iași Romanian Literature Museum owns twelve memorial houses. The MihaiEminescu Museum is situated in Copou Park and it is dedicated to the great poet’s life and creation.
The Physicians and Naturalists Society, founded in Iași, hasexisted since the early part of the 19th century, and a number ofperiodicals are published. One of the oldest medical universities in Romania, founded in 1879, is in Iași. It is now known as the Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy.
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University
• Located in the historic core of the city, near the Palace of Culture, the PALAS ensemble is a "city in the heart of the city".
• Designed and developed pursuant to the “lifestyle center” concept, PALAS integrates in this unique complex areas for retail, hotels, A-class offices, apartments, underground parking lot with approximately 2,500 parking spaces and a perimeter set up for entertainment, all these on a built area of over 270,000 square meters.
The grand opening of the ensemble took place on the 31st of May 2012.It’s an amazing place,when I was there I feel like in “Seems”.It’s really really beautiful,you can do whatever you want there,It’s the perfect place to spandng a few hours in peace!
• In my opinion, is one of the most beautifulcities of my country! If you arrive in Romania, Iasi worth visiting! • I hope you liked!