1. Interview with aLibraryAdministratorLIS 630Assignment 1Colette Wheeless
2. Interview Mark Engelbrecht Library Location Manager of Mint Hill Branch here in Charlotte.
3. Day-to-Day Spends between 4-6 hours at the service desk. Branch is short-staffed.
4. How Important is Technology? “Theprimary purpose of a library is to provide access to information. Technology simply introduces new formats, mediums, and points of access in which people can obtain information.”
5. Two Different Catalogues Aquabrowser – good for users “just looking around.” Classic Catalogue – good for users who know exactly what they want.
6. Library System Hardware “50+servers for just system wide software management, and there are 3 to 4 more servers at each library location.”
7. Types of Computers Children’s (Limited Internet, but full access to library resources) Reference/Word Processing (No Internet, full access to library resources) Internet (Internet access, time-limited, full access to library resources.)
8. Wi-Fi in the Library “Thereis Wi-Fi access at all 20 library locations. The system is free to all users. The advantages to using a personal device are; save information direction to your personal device, no wait time for use, no limit to the amount of time for access (during open hours).”
9. Electronic Media “We are currently rolling out an indicative which will allow all 20 library location to have a nook and a Kindle on site for staff and patron training. These items are not for circulation, just for training.”
10. Technology in the Future Ideally, librarians spending less time at the desk, more time roaming the library. Utilizing tablets or iPads to help patrons. Possible RF-IDs in the books to aid with check-in/checkout.