1. Middle School Information LiteracyScope and Sequence of Skills Christine M Smith Middle School Librarian SY 2010-2011
2. Develop Research TopicContent StandardsAASL Information Power/ 21st Century SkillsStandard 1 The student who is information literate accessesinformation efficiently and effectivelyIndicator 3 The student who is information literate formulatesquestions based on information needAASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner1.1.1 Follow an inquiry based process in seeking knowledge incurricular subjects.1.1.3 Develop and refine a range of questions to frame thesearch for new understanding.
3. Develop Research TopicObjectives ● Students will develop an effective research topic based on three step process, record what they know, record what the need to know, read an overview of the topic. ● Students will develop a research topic moving from broad concepts to narrow topics. ● Students will create focus questions that will lead to the most relevant information related to their topic. ● Students will identify the proper order for beginning the research process using a generated list of research steps ● Students will correctly identify the questions in the set that are important to answer in order to address the topic given a research topic and a set of questions
4. Identify Potential SourcesContent StandardsAASL Information PowerStandard 1 The student who is information literate accessesinformation efficiently and effectivelyIndicator 4 Identifies a variety of potential sources ofinformationAASL Standards for the 21st Century LearnerS1.1-I4 Find evaluate, and select appropriate sources toanswer questions.
5. Identify Potential SourcesObjectives ● Students will correctly identify the best tool to use to locate information given a list of reference tools and an information need ● Students will select that database that is most appropriate for an information need given a list of describing databases ● Students will correctly identify all sources that could be used for a research project given a list of information resources ● Students will correctly identify,from a list of sources, those that would provide information on the topic to be researched
6. Develop, use, and revise searchstrategies Content StandardsAASL Information PowerStandard 1 The student who is information literate accessesinformation efficiently and effectivelyIndicator 5 Develops and uses successful strategies for locatinginformation.AASL Standards for the 21st Century LearnerStandard1.1-I8 Demonstrate mastery of technology tools foraccessing information and pursuing inquiry
7. Develop, use and revise searchstrategies Objectives● Students will correctly identify the group of words that will yield the best results given an information need and a list of possible search phrases.● Students will correctly select the searches that will allow him to find the article in an online database given the title and author of a magazine article and a list of possible searches.● Students will correctly identify terms that broaden the search given an information need and a list of terms to search in the online catalog.
8. Recognize how to use informationresponsibly, ethically, and legally ContentStandardsAASL Information PowerStandard 8 The student who contribute positively to the learningcommunity and to society is information literate and practices ethicalbehavior in regard to information and information technologyIndicator 1 Respects intellectual property rightsAASL Standards for the 21st Century LearnerStandard 1.3.1 Respect copyright/intellectual property rights ofcreators and producersStandard 1.3.3 Follow ethical and legal guidelines in gathering andusing information
9. Recognize how to use informationresponsibly, ethically, and legallyObjectives ● Students will identify a violation as one against copyright given a scenario that violates copyright ● Students will correctly identify the title of the magazine given a citation for a magazine article ● Students will identify valid reasons for citing sources given a list of reasons for citations. ● Students will correctly identify the way to include an author’ s work without plagiarizing given the direction to incorporate an author’s work into one’s paper
10. Evaluate sources and informationContent StandardsAASL Information Power StandardsStandard 2 The student who is information literate evaluatesinformation critically and competentlyIndicator 4 Selects information appropriate to the problem orquestion at handAASL Standards for the 21st Century LearnerS1.1-I4 Find evaluate, and select appropriate sources toanswer questionsS1.1-I5 Evaluate information found in selected sources on thebasis of accuracy, validity, appropriateness for needs,importance, and social and cultural context
11. Evaluate sources and informationObjectives ● Students will correctly identify the source where graphics could be obtained legally to include in the report given an assignment to create a report that must include graphics ● Students will identify the most current source for the topic given a list of websites and print materials ● Students will identify the site that is most likely to be objective given a topic and a list of potential websites