2. Let's be Serious!
Bad news this talk is not just about improving GPA - SHORTSIGHTED
Good news, it is about becoming EDUCATED, LEARNED...
3. What is Learning?
Learning is Hard...
Overcome hardship by spending more time - WRONG
Finding effective ways of learning - RIGHT
4. Consequences: Wrong approach to Learning
• Friction -> prevents enjoyment -> pain
instead of pleasure...slack
• Learning becomes barrier instead of
stepping stone to success
• Your goal is to be EDUCATED and not
become a BLACK BOX
5. Who is Your greatest enemy
when it comes to learning well?
• Beware of no one more than of
yourself; we carry our worst enemies
within us. ~ Charles Spurgeon
6. What do you wish to take? Why?
7. There is no free lunch
9. To Get Success
What will you do?
11. Study Hard
12. Study Smart
What will you do?
13. How to study smart?
PRINCIPLE OF SOWING AND
• Teach peers what you learnt
• You learn better as you are forced to
use your own words to teach
• Take turns to teach your study group
• Will it work?
15. Read Write Speak Think
• Read SCMP aloud daily for 15 mins
• Guaranteed to transform your understanding
of written text & speaking skills
• How to Read a Book: Mortimer J Adler
• Story of Namashivayam
• Pen a half page journal every day
on any topic
• Use short simple sentences
• Story of the Typist
• Look at the mirror & speak on any topic
for 5 mins daily
• Record, listen & consider what changes
Avoid Bad Presentations
20. Avoid Bad Presentations
TURNING THE LIGHTS OFF
• What are you saying to the audience?
• I worked hard on my slides...
• I am comfortable as the audience is
looking at the slides, not me
• Slides are important, I'm not...
21. Avoid Bad Presentations
RELYING ON ONE LEG OF THE STOOL
• 1. Content
• 2. Delivery
• 3. Visual Presentation
• Too much reliance on any one leg will
make you fall
• Balanced approach = common sense
22. Is there POWER
Too much content on a slide +
Too many slides =
23. Avoid Bad Presentations
DON'T BREAK COMMANDMENT # 1
• Thou shall not READ the slides
• Smiling is welcome, laughing is not
cool, it simply tells you are nervous
• Content unexplained adds '0' value to
• Revising a topic -> superﬁcial
• Thinking critically -> deeper
• Reﬂection enables you to use
complex ideas and concepts
• Use framework or models for thinking
• Tables, Matrix...
• Thinking on your feet
27. When will you
start to do?
What will you
28. Will you act right now?
It is always easy to act
...tomorrow will never
come if you don't act
"A year from now you will wish you
had started today"