Branch Management Team Meeting
14th July 2010 (21 City Square, Dundee)
Charlene Cantwell John Handling Samantha Godley
Management Team and Posts
• Chairman – those present agreed that John Handling should take this
role on as he has been covering this role for the last four years in an
• Chair Designate – Charlene Cantwell has agreed to take on this role
• Secretary – Samantha Godley has agreed to take this role on
o Action Point – Sam to contact Adi Gaskell to arrange for details
on CMI Tayside Branch to be updated online
o Action Point – John to arrange for Sam to have access to the
‘Resources for Branch and Honorary Officers’ area
• Treasurer – Charlene Cantwell is Treasurer for the Scotland branch of
CMI to include Tayside
• Data Manager – Dawn McKaig has agreed to take this role on and
access to membership data has already been sorted out with CMI.
• Programme Secretary – Those present hoped that Jim MacGregor will
take on this role.
o Action Point – John to speak to Jim about this
• Public Relations Manager – Those present decided that at this point in
time this post was not needed but would be reviewed once the branch
had been officially opened and running for a period of time. In the
meantime the current Branch Management Team would fill this role
• Website Co-Ordinator – Samantha Godley has agreed to take on this
o Action Point – Sam to speak to Adi about how minutes etc can
be uploaded to the CMI site
•Branch Management Team Member - All CMI members at any grade
can become a Branch Management Team Member. All members are
encouraged to become involved in any way they can.
o Action Point - Members wishing to assist the Branch
Management Team contact John for more information.
• A brief discussion followed on the need to communicate to current
branch members and the wider CMI network that Tayside branch was
up and running. See AOB section.
• Abertay University ‘Employer Engagement’ – John Handling
apologised for the lengthy delay but advised that we are now in a
position to progress the joint CMI and Abertay University Business
1. We have been offered a 55 minute 'guest lecturers’ spot in the
September Induction week (Wednesday 15th, Thursday 16th or
Friday 17th September) to deliver a presentation/workshop to
This presentation has traditionally been delivered by the CMI
Scotland Manager concentrating on the benefits of student
membership, however, the remit is quite broad and the choice of
topic is open for discussion with the University. .
o Action Point - John to contact previously identified volunteers
to arrange this.
2. Discussions concerning the work shadowing project are ongoing
and have been extended to include student work placements. A
draft business plan has been written with a view to formalising
A summary of the Draft Business Plan is embedded.
Draft Business Plan
o Action Point - John to progress and keep previously
identified volunteers up to date.
• Pupil Mentoring Scheme – Dundee City Council have been trialling a
‘pupil mentoring scheme’ at Craigie High School and are now looking
to extend this scheme across the City. Angus Council have a similar
scheme (more details in embedded document)
o Action Point – John to contact Dundee City Council and Angus
Council to determine whether CMI Tayside Branch can assist.
o Action Point - John to contact Perth and Kinross Council to see
if a similar scheme exists.
• Initial indications from a quick glance through the results of the recent
survey suggest that members would like an official branch opening
event. Thoughts included a social event with a prominent after dinner
speaker (possibly Sir Tom Farmer CCMI).
o Action Point – John to discuss with Jim with a view to forming a
small event planning team.
• Answers to survey questions to be collated and a summary produced
by Jim MacGregor.
• LinkedIn – Linked in to the discussion on communication and
marketing Sam suggested creating a subgroup under the CMI main
group for the Tayside Branch to raise awareness and provide
additional networking and a means of publicising events etc for the
branch. Those present agreed.
o Action Point – Sam to speak to Adi Gaskell about setting this up
• Facebook – on the back of the discussion about LinkedIn it was
suggested that a group be set up on Facebook for a similar reason. To
be set up so that those in the Management Team can post items as the
Group rather than as themselves individually
o Action Point – Sam to set this up and email the Management
Team when it is done with a link to the group for them to join.
The group will be closed i.e. the admin and officers of the group
have to give permission for a person to join the group
• Expenses – John explained that the CMI will reimburse travel
expenses for those attending Branch Meetings
o Action Point – John to send template expense forms to
• Newsletter – A newsletter will be created for Tayside Branch to provide
updates to branch members in between meetings and to be posted on
CMI, Facebook and LinkedIn
o Action Point – Sam to produce newsletter
• Frequency of meetings – It was proposed by those present that Branch
Management Team Meetings be held every quarter. If it was decided
that there was not enough information to warrant a meeting then a
newsletter would be used to update the Branch Management Team. A
separate events planning team would be created to organise any
Date of next Branch Management Team Meeting