1. Digital Ethnography in Virtual Worlds By: Crystal Conover August 2012
2. What is digital ethnography? • A qualitative research design which includes three stages; data collection, content analysis, comparative analysis I will explain these throughout the slide • The study of other cultures; in this case the study of the second life culture • Employed to gather data ; through interviews and questionnaires
3. Context and Participants • The Art Ark • The art ark is a building made from various simple shapes that have been twisted to look like an ark • It is a place to learn and a class room to Mary Stokrocki . It is located in Arizona State University Teaching 2 <ahref="http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Teaching%20 2/84/171/27" rel="nofollow">maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Teaching%2 02/84/171/27</a> • The meetings here are to learn and examine art. In the picture here I am examining the Ark rug from Turkey. I like this place because it is easy to navigate and has tools for learning; such as this rug.
4. Participants • I chose to interview Mary Lou Goldrosen because she has been on SL for a while and understands the concepts • The art work shown is her sculpture called Fusia Funk • Marylou is an art educator and ethnographer. Her birthday is April 10th 2008 in SL. She is a Caucasian avatar and sometimes dresses grunge and sometimes classic. In this picture she is wearing some grunge and cartoon tail.
5. Participants • Masako she is an artist who has work in Space for art • <ahref="http://maps.secondlife.c om/secondlife/Space%204%20Ar t/76/131/21"rel="nofollow">map s.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spac e%204%20Art/76/131/21</a> • Cranes is an oil painting over gold leaf • Oriental brush painting • What can you discover, what is your favorite art here?
6. Data collection: the process of gathering informationMasako Marylou Goldrosen
7. InterviewMasako MaryLou Goldrosen• In this space you find many artist who are on • I chose Marylou Goldrosen because she is display. I chose Masako. I wrote to the artist interesting and understands the concepts of SL with little response and collected other data and is art educator. I interviewed her in the Art from SL as part of an interview. This painting of Ark in SL. We spoke about her sculpture called the cranes is done by an artist named Masako. Fusia Funk. The art is made of simple shapes Masako is originally from Osaka, she paints in that were twisted. She usually makes abstract oil, oriental brush painting. This particular work art digitally. This art was made in Alti Island and is painted on gold leaf. I chose Space for Art moved to Art Ark. Marylou was mentored by a because it has interesting art in it and each PhD teacher in SL and now understand the artist has a space, just like a gallery. I discovered concepts of how to create art in SL. artists also can put art up in here that isnt done but they can work on...like live art.
8. Content analysis • Search for conceptual themes and patterns, gather information, write a story • Through the Looking Glass by Su Blackwell. I chose this art work because I enjoy the monochromatic colors, the texts, and think the story behind the art is based of Alice in Wonderland. I like that is a floor relief as well because you can become part of the work. The artist sold this in 2007. The artist shows the precariousness of life.
9. Question Masako MaryLou GoldrosenType of Art Fine art- Painting Sculpture- digital designExpresses what? Images of nature Feeling of emotion with simple shapesBenefits in SL? Exposure Teaching tool, Making contacts exposure Gallery showsSL collaboration ? Gallery shows Mentored by PhD Art for art gallery Works with artist Demonstrates in SL
10. Comparative analysis & conclusionComparative analysis is to relate findings from sessions spent in digital world and coming up with insight. Within comparative analysis you have internal analysis which is how you interpret and external analysis which is how the other side interprets and analyzes. Ethnography is a qualitative research design which includes three stages; data collection, content analysis, comparative analysis.The study of this culture was interesting to say the least. In the end Ive collected data, analyzed it, and interpreted that data. Second Life, a virtual world in which you can create a avatar( you) and live in a world all of your own making. There are many benefits to this way of living. You get exposure, learn new ways of thinking (digitally), and you can use as a learning tool.