Four Roles for Digital Scholars
and the Skills They Need
Center for History and New Media
‣ Creative Lead at the Center for History and New Media
‣ I'm a web designer/web developer/information architect/project
‣ PhD student in the Department of History and Art History at Mason
‣ Currently teach Clio Wired 2 at George Mason, slated to teach History in
the Digital Age at American University.
History and New Media at Mason
‣ Two required new media courses
‣ Clio Wired 1 – Intellectual and theoretical issues
‣ Clio Wired 2 – Practical issues and skills
‣ Minor Field in History and New Media
‣ Two additional courses
‣ Independent readings
‣ Minor Field Statement
Mason’s History PhD Program
CHNM provides practical work opportunities for
students interested in history and new media.
Project managers provide the tools, information, and
contexts with which others on a project team can do
their job. Document goals, requirements and
Project Manager – Skills and Tools
Some Skills and Tools:
‣ Project management
‣ Wikis and collaborative
‣ Organizing and running
‣ Conference call, video
‣ Balance theoretical and
‣ Manage people.
Project Manager – Why?
Digital scholarship is best when it is collaborative. Project
Managers strive for teamwork and cooperation, organize
people with seemingly disparate skill sets to collaborate
toward a common goal.
On individual and group level, information managers
deal with the onslaught of information. They collect,
sort, search, and share information in various ways.
Information Manager – Skills and Tools
‣ Search (More than
‣ Using Zotero, CiteULike,
and sharing services.
‣ Metadata Standards
‣ Site Maps
‣ Page Wireframes
‣ Content Inventories
Information Manager – Why?
Abundance of available information makes managing
it, critiquing it, using it effectively even more valuable.
Need people who respect information, can help others
find and use it.
Outreach Coordinator – Why?
Information moves quickly, more projects are
produced. Need skills of an outreach coordinator to
track those changes, connect with users, ensure that
your project is relevant outside your niche.