Why was it chosen as a site?
• Originally was a series of fishing villages.
• Growth of a port -concentrated at end of
the peninsula – access to sea on both
• British colonial admin developed the port,
as It was the closest port of entry to the
subcontinent for European travellers.
• It was called the ‘Gateway to India’.
Problems of the site
• City developers struggled to keep pace
with rapid growth caused by rural to urban
migration.10,000s move in every year.
• Developing at the end of a peninsula
restricts growth & it is now desperately
• The price of land in the CBD has rocketed,
making it one of the most expensive in the
Dharavi – ‘biggest slum in Asia’
• Home to 600,000 people.
• Size 2km²
• Cottage industries estimated to generate
US$40mn each year.
• Found just north of central Mumbai, growth
• Lies at narrow part of peninsula & across routes
that bring 100,000s of commuters into the city
• Inevitable it will be redeveloped.