1. Using Library Resources
2. Engl 1102
• Today’s Outcome : Appropriately use information to fulfill the identified need.
LibGuides for You!
Types of Resources
Successful Search Strategies
3. LibGuides - Tools to help you!
Tutorials-- “how to” guides
Books and e-books
Quick help boxes
4. Start your research with a LibGuide!
Browse by topic:
5. Keywords are …..
6. Building a search strategy
Topic: What are the financial benefits of solar panels?
Break down the topic into keywords.
Keywords: financial, benefits, solar panels
Can you think of some other keywords or synonyms that
we could use for this topic?
7. Find Alternative Keywords
8. BOOLEAN Operators are connectors:
AND = narrows
“women” and “hypertension”
 OR = expands
“hypertension” or “high blood pressure”
Did you know that AND is automatically used by Google and other search engines
to combine terms?
Did you know that ‘”Boolean” is named after George Boole, a 19th century mathematician?
9. Special Indexing Tools to
Target Your Searching
Types of Indexes
 Subject Terms
 Medical & Allied Health Headings
 Thesaurus (Education, Psychology,
10. Subject Thesaurus
11. All About Books!
• Authoritative coverage
• Usually read “cover to
• In depth coverage of
events, people, subjects
• May be e-book format
• Background information
• Usually not read “cover
• Quick facts, Encyclopedic
May be e-book format
12. Journals, Magazines,
and Trade Publications
Review, Journal of Physical
Aviation Today, Chronicle
of Higher Education
information- (i.e. airlines,
review of literature
For casual readers
researchers/professors to seeking general
stay current on a topic.
includes technical terms
for that career field.
charts, graphics to
May include bright
covers and advertising.
Glossy covers and pages
Advertising geared for
the industry or business
13. Web Sources
• Includes current news and trending topics!
• Some access to open source (freely available) scholarly
• Government publications may include:
Links to other government agencies
 Critically Evaluate All Information!
14. Clayton State University Library
15. What is GALILEO?
GeorgiA Library LEarning Online (GALILEO)
A shared resource for libraries in the State of Georgia
Includes library catalogs
Includes library research databases
Includes other core resources and free information for
Academic libraries (Public and private)
Technical college libraries
K-12 school libraries/media centers
Atlanta History Center
16. Off Campus access to GALILEO
17. Discover GALILEO –Searches everything.
Limit your search.
18. Just Searching in
the CSU Catalog
19. Search in Gil-Find@ Clayton State University
20. Streaming video, eBooks, physical books in
the CSU Library
21. Book- The citation
Title of Book
Place, publisher, date, (edition)
22. eBook Collections @ Clayton State Library
23. Search for Articles
24. Search in Academic Search
Complete (GALILEO resource)
25. Journal article –The citation
Title of article
Journal, date, vol. pages
26. Resources for position papers
Issues & Controversies
27. Journal article
28. Quality of Selected Resources
• Evaluating Information is Essential!
• Establish validity, reliability, credibility, authorship, and integrity.
• Who is the author, curator, publisher?
• How reliable is the information provided?
• What is the purpose of the resource?
• How up-to-date is the resource?
• Does the resource contain information relevant to your topic?
30. More Resources for You
Plagiarism Page – ENGL 1102
Citing Information (LibGuide-Legal Research)Library
Library Research LibGuide-How to begin
ENGL 1102 English Composition II - Writing, selecting topics,
grammar, and other resources.