We abide by artificial rules
Subject ourselves to constraints
Suspend our disbelief
Usually, because it’s fun
Let’s play a game, it’s called “HIGHEST
Choices are ambiguous
Immediate rewards vs. delayed
Actions have consequences
• What you do in the game: shooting, building,
running, jumping, bidding, etc.
• Sets of mechanics that build the core gameplay:
territorial acquisition, survival, collection, trading,
• The ability for a player to make a choice
• Intangible. A sense of achievement. For the love
of the game.
• Tangible. If you play my game I’ll give you candy
Positive Feedback Loop
• Hooray! Have a power up!
Negative Feedback Loop
• Die! Lose a turn!
Split into groups
Take a dataset/infographic
Figure out a game mechanic that could be
used to explain this data
You have 10 minutes
Using your selected mechanic, create a
You can use all of our fun prototyping
You have 30 minutes
Split your group in half
One half should migrate to another split
Playtest your games within these groups