Mujeres Construyendo 5 lessons to change the world New York, BlogHer, August 3th, 2012
Blogueras juntas..... watch out!!• Challenge to be with this wonderful group of women, Viviana, Miriam. Thanks BlogHer: Lisa, Elisa, Jory.• Enthusiastic estrogens!• 5 things Mujeres Construyendo has taught me about being a blogger, having a compromise and loving what you do.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. Ralph Waldo Emerson
1. Being a blogger means challenging the way things are• Data and reality:• Internet users: Asia, 1016.8 million; Europe, 500 million; North America 273 million; Latin America 235 million• Languages(% in the world): English, 26.8%; Chinese 24.2%; Spanish, 7.8%; Japanese 4.7%• Blogs: 50% world bloggers from US. 3/5 bloggers are males in the world.• US: more than 50% women; Spanish speaking blogosphere: 25%
2. Blogs empower women • Women begin to believe in themselves when they blog: share ideas, receive feedback • Poll: 70% bloggers said their selfesteem grew blogging • Revalue their experience and own history • Value others work and ideas
3. Trust your gut• You don´t realize what you do until someone else tells you• International invitations: Freedom for Democracy, Tech Camp, Innovators Summit• Nationally: Democracy2.0, media, interviews, speakers, universities, regional electoral institutes, feminist forums, Campus Party• Projects: Digital Volunteers, Tardes de Café y Blogs• Community: Pride for being a Mujer Construyendo
4. Silence is your enemy • Calladita te ves más bonita • Not speaking because there is nothing important in your life • Silence as ally to: abuse, ignoring women´s needs, goals, projects, ideas, dreams • Silence guarantees status quo
5. Every woman can change the world• Changes are nurtured in each heart and in each person• If you want to change the world, change your attitudes and ideas• A woman daring to talk can change her entourage, her community, her state, region, country and world. (Be the change you wanna see)• Blog the change you want to see...
Challenges ahead• Internal: financial sustainability, adding the most talented people to the team, giving value permanently to the community.• External: Giving content and value to business, policy makers, media and opinion leaders. Setting the digital agenda for women. Adding value to the quality of democracy in Mexico and Spanish speaking internet.• International: make Spanish speaking bloggers visible to the world.• Political: accesibility, infrastructure, equity, vision, education, digital divide
Equality is not only aboutbeing politically correct, it is about doing the right thing.
Sucess is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm....