ME Senior Design I
November 14, 16, 19, 2012
Asst. Engineering & Applied
Overview of Today’s Presentation
Tips for Conducting a Literature Search
Resources through the CEAS Library Webpage
Overview of Selected Resources (esp. Patents)
Locating the Full text
Tips for a successful and efficient literature search:
1. What is your topic? Be specific. Analyze your information need.
2. Select relevant databases and/or other information sources
to consult in your search and understand the purpose, content
and coverage of each. Remember that no source is comprehensive.
3 . Brainstorm search terms and generate a keyword list.
Consider such things as controlled vocabulary, primary terms,
related terms, synonyms, tenses, British spellings, plurals,
acronyms and initials.
4. Select your search commands and define your search logic.
5. Write out your search statements including system commands and logical
6. Choose strategies for narrowing or broadening your search.
7. Determine how to format and display the references you find.
TYPES OF ENGINEERING LITERATURE
DISSERTATIONS AND THESES