1. • Carnival is not celebrated very much in the USA.
• There is one exception.
• French Catholics brought Carnival to the USA.
It was first celebrated on 3 March, 1699.
• “Mardi Gras” is VERY popular in the city of New
• “Mardi Gras” is French, meaning “Fat Tuesday.”
2. The USA in 1800.
the city of New Orleans
3. Celebrations include…
• parades with parade floats
• throwing beads to the crowd.
purple - justice
green - faith
The meaning of the colours
golden - power
4. and parade floats
6. People watch the festivities
from their balconies.
7. The party
lasts for the
and the night.
Now answer these questions about this American
Where is Carnival celebrated in the USA?
What is the name for this American celebration?
Where does it come from?
When was the first celebration of MardiGras?
What is the meaning of Mardi Gras?
What are the typical colours of Mardi Gras?
What is the meaning of these colours?
What do people do in Mardi Gras?