Lortie data citation ignite talk ESA2014
- 664 views
For better or worse, citations are here stay. Citations have the capacity to serve as a proxy estimate of uptake or use by the community of ones products. Fortunately, the range of acceptable ...
For better or worse, citations are here stay. Citations have the capacity to serve as a proxy estimate of uptake or use by the community of ones products. Fortunately, the range of acceptable scientific products is rapidly expanding, datasets in many forms continue to serve as pivotal resources, and big data syntheses are reshaping the standards for acceptable derived evidence. Data citations are defined, general rules provided, and the unique elements of datasets described such as versioning and persistent identifiers. The cultural and scientific discovery implications of data citations are also described focusing on emerging linked-data futures.
Citations to publications & select figures
1. H. A. Piwowar, T. J. Vision, M. C. Whitlock, Nature 473, 285 (05/19/print, 2011).
2. H. A. Piwowar, J. D. Carlson, T. J. Vision, Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 48, 1 (2011).
3. C. W. Belter, PLoS ONE 9, e92590 (2014).
4. Ş. Kafkas, J.-H. Kim, J. R. McEntyre, PLoS ONE 8, e63184 (2013).
5. H. A. Piwowar, R. S. Day, D. B. Fridsma, PLoS ONE 2, e308 (2007).
6. A. Kenall, S. Harold, C. Foote, BMC Ecology 14, 10 (2014).
Citation to dataset
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views