Go With The Flow:
Float This Fluid
Fluid Math 1
• Equations for this chapter are:
• Pressure =? And units?
• Density= ? And Units?
• (four answers must be correct!)
Fluid Math 2
• A tree falls into a river. It displaces 1020 kg of
water. What is the strength of the buoyant
force on the tree?
Fluid Math 3
• A person’s 2 shoes cover a total area of 200
cm squared. The pressure each shoe exerts
on the floor is 5 N/cm squared. What is the
weight of the person?
Float this Idea 1
• Which soda has more buoyant force acting on
Fluid Math 4
• One piston in a hydraulic device has 5
Newtons of force applied to it. Its area is 10
cm squared. The other piston 50 cm squared.
• What is the pressure in the hydraulic device?
• How much force does the larger piston apply?
Under Pressure 1
• Name the 3 things you can do to a container
of gas to get the gas to change its pressure
Under Pressure 2
• What causes pressure to exist in fluids? (2
The Pressures of Life 3
• Why does the balloon inflate with air?
• What body organ does the bottle with the
balloon in it represent?
• What body organ does the balloon on the
The Pressures of Life 1
• When I was a kid, my best friend’s mom would
smoke cigarettes all the time. When she
drove us somewhere, she would crack her
window open a little so the smoke could
escape. Would more smoke get sucked out if
the car was parked, or if it was going slow, or
• What principle does this show?
The Pressures of Life 2
• You want to get across some very thin ice in
order to get a cookie. Without anything to
use but your own body, what are going to do
to get across the ice without breaking it?
• HINT: One trick has direct use of concept of
Float this Idea 2
• Watch the demonstration with the rock in the
boat and answer Mr Jones’ question
Under Pressure 3
• Would you expect a bubble of air to stay the
same size as it rises from deep in the ocean?
Defend your answer.
Under Pressure 4
• Balanced pressure systems cause weather to
move from one place to another (T/F?)
The Pressures of Life 4
• If a fish goes deeper into the water, why
doesn’t it get crushed?
Fluid Theory 1
• Fluids hold their shape easily (t/f)
Fluid Theory 2
• Can pressure of a fluid be expressed in pounds
Float This Idea 3
• Oil is thick and has high viscosity. This makes
oil denser than water. (t/f)
• Support your answer
Float this Idea 4
• When Mr Jones squeezes the Cartesian Diver,
it sinks. How can its density change to make it