Author’s Info -3 facts
• After 6 years at Stanford University, he
dropped out for good.
• At age 14 you decided he wanted to be a
writer and would lock him self in his room
writing poems and stories.
• John Ernst Steinbeck, Jr. born in
Salinas, California on February 27, 1902
• In the pearl, the plot summary is that Kino and
Juana lived a happy life then one day Coyotito
got stinted by a Scorpion then the doctor
wouldn't help him and we drove for a pearl
and everything started to change.
• The setting takes place in La Paz, Mexico
around the 19th and 20th century.
• Kino- is one of the main protagonist/main character
and is a pearl diver, husband of Juana and loves his
family, and really cares about his son hoping for him
to get a education.
• Juana- is the wife of Kino and is mainly a house wife.
She would do anything to save her baby.
• Coyotito- is Kino and Juana's baby and seems to still
be a few months old
• The Doctor- the doctor in the pearl seems to be a grumpy old
man and knows he won't survive much longer. He is an
antagonist and would do anything to get his hands on the
• The Priest- is seemed to be a antagonist but not as bad as the
doctors and mainly tries to get money for the church.
The Buyers- are people who tries to the pearl of the
world from Kino by tricking Kino.
• The moral of the story is that greed can get to
you just like Kino, being obsessed with the
Pearl would hurt the person he loved most.
(Juana) Also, money doesn’t not cure-alls.
• Pearls are the only gemstone made by living
• Its takes a long time for a pearl to form in an
oyster (2-7 years)
Addition Interest pt 2
• In the book, the pearl is what
created the whole plot and
conflict and Kino and Juana truly
believes the pearl is evil and goes
up to the mountains.