US economic stimulus package BBC BUSINESS ENGLISH February 08 Letizia Cinganotto
- What is the stimulus package worth $150 bn aimed at?
- helping ordinary Americans deal with the economic downturn.
TRUE OR FALSE?
- The Congress easily approved it.
What does the plan include?
- one-off rebates of up to $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples plus $300 for each child.
- rebates for low income retirees and military veterans
What’s the meaning of rebate?
- “ low income retirees ” and
Did President Bush welcome the plan? Why?
- Yes, because it would help stimulate consumer spending and accelerate needed business investment.
Why are some politicians worried?
- about the damage the plan will do to government finances - potentially doubling last year's budget deficit