Waste Management at Newcastle University
Sustainability Team, Newcastle University
• What types of waste does the University produce?
• How is the University performing in waste management?
• How are staff and students engaged with waste and
recycling on campus?
Newcastle University Profile
• Civic University with a global reputation for academic
• Russell Group University
• Ranked 18th out of 121 in The Times and Sunday Times
Good University Guide 2014.
• Newcastle City Centre Campus
• Campus for Ageing and Vitality
• International Centre for Life
• NUMed Malaysia Campus
• Newcastle University International Singapore
• Approx. 23,000 students (17,000 UG/6,000 PG)
• Approx. 5,500 members of staff
• Environmental Sustainability 1 of 5 strategic
objectives, 1 of 3 societal challenge themes.
• Dedicated Sustainability Team within Estate Support
• Environmental Management System (EMS) certified
with ISO14001 and EcoCampus Platinum since 2012.
• 15th of 143 and ‘First Class’ in People and Planet
Green League of Universities.
• Approx. 1750 tonnes p.a. (Res + Non Res)
• Approx. 2600 tonnes p.a. (Inc. C & R)
• Total Waste Mass per Staff & Student FTE: 77kg
• Target: 60kg/FTE by Jul 2015
General Waste & Recycling Other Streams
General Waste and Recycling
• Target- Maintain < 90% Recycling Rate
• Total 93% Recycling
• Zero General Waste to Landfill
• Challenge- Increasing source separated recycling
Increasing Source Separation: Bin Amnesty/Recycling League Table
Recycling League Table
• Visual display of recycling rate per building
• Rewards for cleaning staff
• ‘Give up Your Bin and Win’.
• Positive message to encourage positive
• Promotion of recycling facilities as well as
increasing efficiency of cleaning staff.
• Incentives: Free Chocolate!
Waste Minimisation: Lug A Mug Campaign
Student Waste Audit
Analysis of results
identifies high %
coffee cups in GW
Waste Prevention/Re-use: WARPit
• Online portal for exchanging
• Introduced at Newcastle
University July 2013.
• Allows resourced to be traded
internally and externally.
• Link into procurement process
• Loan feature- Lab Equipment
Thanks for listening.