1. If an adjective has one syllable we add
small + er = smaller than
hard + er = harder than
The ant is smaller than the hippo.
2. Lions are faster than cats.
3. Goofy is taller than Mickey.
4. February is colder
July is hotter
5. If a one syllable adjective ends with a consonant + a vowel
+ a consonant you must double the last consonant and then
big + er = bigger than
fat + er = fatter than
thin + er = thinner
slim + er = slimmer
The elephant is fatter than
6. Elephants are bigger than dogs.
7. A pig is fatter than a wolf.
A wolf is thinner than a pig.
8. •If an adjective ends with a “y”, remove the
“y” and add –ier.
happy –y + ier = happier than
funny –y + ier = funnier than
easy – y + ier = easier than
heavy - y + ier = heavier than
The girl is
9. The brown cat is dirtier than
the yellow cat.
10. The suitcase is heavier than
11. If an adjective has two syllables or more
then add the word “more” before the
adjective. (long adjectives)
more + beautiful = more beautiful than
more + expensive = more expensive than
more + comfortable = more comfortable than
The butterfly is more beautiful than the frog.
12. Monkeys aremore intelligent than
13. Tarkan is more famous than
14. •There are a few exceptions.
bad= worse than
good = better than
far= further than
15. Dolphins are better than sharks.
16. Today the weather is
17. We use as….as to show that two people or
things are similar in some way. In negative
sentences we use not as…..as.
The watch is as expensive as the
Tom’ s ball is as big as
Tom – 60
Joe – 70