1. A story of transformation: How Lean & Agile + Nearshorecan increase Agility" Buenos Aires, Argen-na October 11, 2011 Fernando Ostanelli, Ci&T Rafael Prikladnicki, PUC-‐RS
2. Fernando Ostanelli hDp://www.linkedin.com/in/ostanelli Systems Analyst Specialized in So5ware Engineering MBA in Business Management email@example.com 15 years of experience in the IT industry @ostanelli ExecuCve manager at Ci&T (www.ciandt.com) (9+ years) Manages delivery centers in Brazil, ArgenCna and China One of the leaders of company’s global delivery strategies.
3. Rafael Prikladnicki www.inf.pucrs.br/~rafael Professor at the Computer Science School at PUCRS Master in Computer Science – PUCRS (2003) PhD in Computer Science – PUCRS (2009) Director of the Technology Management Agency (AGT/PUCRS) Coordinator of the Local Agile Methods User Group (GUMA-‐RS) Coordinator of Agile Brazil 2010 Areas of experCse and interest: Distributed So5ware Development Project Management So5ware Process Improcement Experimental So5ware Engineering Lean and Agile Methods for So5ware Development
4. Contexto www.inf.pucrs.br/munddos How to deploy DSD prac-ces within the companies Tool development to support DSD Integra-on of DSD and Agile Methods Follow-‐the-‐Sun (FTS) soTware development DSD educa-on The rol of Brazil in the global IT industry
5. 2001 Background history
6. }!What we do!Nearshore ITO services using"!Agile development methodologies !Lean IT principles! We deliver value to our customers by ! Eliminating waste! Improving quality, speed and agility!
7. Lean AgileCMM2/CMM3 CMMI4 CMMI5 RUP 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Why do you need so much transforma-on ???
8. Before we move on…! … a brief story of how we got here… !
9. 1995…2005 Our mission is to provide superior services, Ci&T Unified Processhelping our clients solve their IT challenges and ensuring a long-‐term rela8onship by honoring all of our commitments. Solid UClity / Trusted Supplier
10. What do Applica-on Outsourcing you do?
11. What do Applica-on Outsourcing you do? com m odity
12. Dealing with scope changes Defense Nego-a-on +
18. Everybody does Applica-on Lean Nearshore Agile Outsourcing m odity com
19. }LEAN and Agility:: Perfect Match ! “Applica8on development professionals can learn from Ci&T. Ci&T built out a Lean culture coupled with an Agile delivery model that provides almost double the produc8vity as well as increases in both quality and customer sa8sfac8on.” -‐ Forrester, 2010
20. }!Lean Cuture! Lean frame in mind! Problem-solving mentality!Business value! More value" Elimination of waste! Value engineering to prioritize according to business! Continuous improvement! Stories! “By implemen8ng a Lean approach to decision-‐making, Ci&T pushed authority down to the lowest possible level. This allows teams to make decisions and the client to appoint business decision-‐makers who work closely with the team.” by Dave West (Forrester Research, Inc.) July 1, 2010 www.ciandt.com / @ciandt!
21. Increase value and eliminate waste New ideas emerge from a set of condi8ons in wich old ideas no longer seem to work (The machine that changed the world’)
22. }!Workplace :: Before!
23. }!Workplace :: After!
24. Why do you need to transform yourself that much ???
39. Aren’t Agile Methods strongly dependent of 100% face to face communication ? The co o r d in and in ation tegrat of a d io n is tr ib u team te dmore are wa d ifﬁc y ult !!!
40. So…Why do youdistribute ?
41. Use Agile Methods! Use SCRUM! Distribute your teams ! Be Global!
42. Don’t Use Agile Methods! Don’t Use SCRUM! Don’t Distribute your teams ! Don’t Be Global!
43. Unless you have a REASON !
44. }!What are your reasons ?! Ø Clients: Proximity, Agility, Value! Ø People: reach new talent sources! Ø Economy: Global Competitiveness!
45. Whadev t abo u elop t Sho men softwa u dn t proc re ’t th e ada ey b ss ? pted e ?
46. DisCbuted -‐ Yes, Isolated – no more. “Distance is dead” Professor Erran Carmel, American University
47. DisCbuted -‐ Yes, Isolated – no more. “Distance is dead” Professor Erran Carmel, American University
48. }! Telepresence!
49. }! Telepresence!
50. RTSC – Real Time Simulated Collocation“Simulated co-‐loca8on enables rich real-‐8me collabora8on between individuals at the various sites. RTSC is the most interes8ng—and has the greatest poten8al—for Brazilian sites to compete globally” Does Time Zone Proximity Maker for Brazil? A Study of the Brazilian I.T. Industry Industry Report of July 20, 2010 Erran Carmel, Kogod School of Business, American University, Washington DC, USA & Rafael Prikladnicki, Computer Science School, PUCRS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
51. Founded in 1995!}!Company facts! HQ in Brazil w/ ofﬁces in the US, Japan, Europe & China! Global Delivery Centers in Brazil, Argentina and China ! Staff: 1,300+! Annual growth: 40%! Provide high performance teams to our clients! Service Offerings" Application Development & Management! Mobile Solutions! Cloud Computing! Product Engineering! SAP! Business Intelligence! ! 2010www.ciandt.com / @ciandt!
52. }!Company facts :: some clients www.ciandt.com / @ciandt!
53. Pon-ocia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul -‐ PUCRS
54. PUCRS Overview • Undergrad courses >50 • Grad courses (latu sensu) 116 • Grad courses (strictu sensu) 40 – Master programs 23 – Doctorate programs 17 • Undergrad students 26,424 • Grad students 5,049 • Professors 1,678 • Employees 4,245