How “green” is your community?
On a scale of 1 to 6 - with 6 being best, our community............
May 2009 Score Current Score
1. Encourages developm ent within or near the
existing “built-up” area or close to public 4.07
2. Encourages developm ent that is served by
existing rather than new water and waster water 4.51
3. Encourages developm ent in areas having no or
lim ited endangered or other ecological im pacts? 3.98
4. Encourages developm ent that conserves water
quality, natural hydrology, habitat - water bodies 4.27
5. Encourages developm ent that seeks to preserve
irreplaceable prim e agriculture and unique 2.98
6. Encourages developm ent that seeks to preserve
open space - forested and other habitat 4.31
7. Encourages redevelopm ent opportunities even if
the site is com plicated by environm ental 3.73
8. Encourages developm ent that seeks to reduce
automobile vehicle use in favor of alternative 3.87
transportation - walking, biking and m ass transit?
9. Encourages housing developm ent in close
proxim ity to em ploym ent opportunities to reduce the 3.24
num ber and length of vehicle journey-to-work trips?
10. Encouragers location of schools to facilitate
physical activity - walking to and from school? 3.51
11. Discourages developm ent of steep slope
topography to m inim ize storm water erosion by
preserving steep slope vegetation? 4.24
12. Encourages use of conservation design
principles in new developm ent that seeks to 4.02
preserve open space to protect native habitat,
wetlands and water features?
13. Encourages inter connection of existing and new
developm ent to prom ote sidewalk, pathway and 4.69
14. Encourages higher density developm ent to
prom ote m ass transportation efficiency and greater 3.18
15. Encourages developm ent that intersperses
owner and renter occupied housing available to a 3.11
wide range of household incomes?
16. Encourages developm ent that orientates parking
away for street frontages to increase pedestrian use 3.16
of street frontages?
17. Encourages use of m ass transit? 2.60
18. Has a plan for direct and safe pedestrian
partway connections to local destinations, 3.87
neighborhood centers and other regional
com m unities?
19. Has to provide a variety of open spaces and
recreational facilities close to resident work and 4.13
hom e locations?
20. Encourages comm unity participation in project
planning by individuals m ost likely to be directly 4.47
im pacted by the project?
21. Encourages comm unity -based local food
production prom oting direct access to fresh foods 2.96
while reducing long-distance food transport?
22. Has requirem ents that lim it construction
activity pollution such as soil erosion, waterway 4.16
sedim entation and airborne dust generation?
23. Encourages energy efficiency and use of “green” 3.51
building products for new construction?
24. Encourages low-im pact landscaping techniques
and “rain gardens” to reduce landscaping irrigations 3.33
supporting water conservation and ground water
25. Encourages adaptive reuse of historic and other
buildings including reuse of scavenged building 3.33
m aterials when possible?
26. Encou4rahes building designs that reduce “heat
islands” that can effect the m icro clim ate 2.42
surrounding the building?
27. Discourages light pollution by lim iting light-
trespass and am ount of light produced by 3.71
28. Maintains a com prehensive plan describing the
goals for future developm ent of our com m unity? 4.40
29. Provides a m echanism to educate the residents
of the com m unity of the goals to “green” the 3.76
com m unity?
30. Encourages com m unity participation in events
promoting the “greening’ of the com m unity? 3.71
Overall Score 3.71
Results will be posted on