For Teenagers: Shaped or shattered - a study of Jeremiah
MESSAGE ACROSS TIMEMAJOR PROPHETS: ISAIAH JEREMIAH EZEKIEL
MESSAGE ACROSSTIMELesson 1: Isaiah: Live by God’s StandardLesson 2: Jeremiah: Shaped or ShatteredLesson 3: Ezekiel: Model your message
A BRIEF STORY OF ISRAEL THE NATION God as King, living among Israel in the Joshua + Israel Tabernacle (Northern Kingdom, Falls to Assyria 70 elders 19 kings – all bad) on 723 BC Jonah went to (207 years after Solomon) Nineveh, capital ofMoses Assyria (796 BC) United Kingdom of Israel Jeremiah (627-580 BC) 970 BC-930 BC Solomon (40 years) Isaiah Ezekiel 1010 BC-970 BC (740-700 BC) (593-570 BC) David (40 years) 1050 BC-1010 BC Saul (40 years) Period of 18 Judges Judah Falls to Babylon (Southern Kingdom, Samuel on 597 BC 350 years 20 kings – 8 good) (333 years after Solomon)1,446BC 1,380BC 1,043BC 597BC
WHO IS JEREMIAH?• He is one of the four major prophets in the OT: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel• Prophesied around 626 B.C. in Judah• He is often called the “weeping prophet”• His name means “Yahweh Exalts”• Traditionally credited with writing the books Jeremiah, 1 Kings, 2 Kings and Lamentations
ISAIAH & JEREMIAH Isaiah Jeremiah Saw the Northern Kingdom of Saw the Southern Kingdom of Israel taken into Captivity at Judah taken into Captivity at the hands of Assyria the hands of Babylon Isaiah foretold of the Jeremiah explained the judgments that would come in reasons for the judgments that the future Judah was experiencing Looks primarily to the future Looks primarily to the present Bold and fearless Gentle and compassionate Was married to a prophetess Was commanded not to take a and had children with prophetic wife or have any children names
JEREMIAH PROPHESIED TO THESE KINGS OF JUDAHLast good king Josiah Jehoahaz Eliakim Mattaniah (Jehoiakim) (Zedekiah)Last king Jehoachin (Jeconiah)
KEY POINTSWhat’s the BIG Idea?God wants people to have soft hearts which He can shapeaccording to His purposeWhy does it matter?God will severely judge those whose hearts are hardenedand cold towards HimHow do I live it?Allow God to shape your life as He desires, and be willing todeliver His message – even when people reject you
1. DON’T LOOK AT YOURSELFGod knows YOU! Jeremiah 1:4-5 Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." God knows us – what we are able to do, and what we are NOT able to do. He will NOT put us in a situation we cannot handle
1. DON’T LOOK AT YOURSELFGod is with YOU! Jeremiah 1:6-8 Then I said, "Alas, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, Because I am a youth.” But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, I am a youth, Because everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak. 8 Do not be afraid of them, For I am with you to deliver you," declares the LORD. Don’t know what to say? – God will give you the words Afraid? – God will be with you
1. DON’T LOOK AT YOURSELFJeremiah 1:4-10 In life …. 1. God knows what you are made of, what you can handle 2. God will guide you, lead you, show you the way to go, and give you the words to say 3. God will be with you
2. DON’T FORGET GODFollow God! Jeremiah 2:5-8 They followed worthless idols and became worthless themselves! They did not ask “where is the Lord ..” Worthless Idols – what are your “idols” today? Where is the Lord? – what answer comes to your mind immediately? Where is the Lord in your life today?
3. DON’T HARDEN YOUR HEARTBe soft before God Jeremiah 18:1-10 Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand The Potter – who is he? What does he do? The clay – what is this?
3. DON’T HARDEN YOUR HEARTBe soft before God Jeremiah 18:1-10 What does it mean to be “soft clay” – Be humble, available, teachable, yielded to God What does the clay become? – Something beautiful and useful
DISCUSSIONS1. Give examples of howpeople can be “hard”before God2. List how you can be“soft” before God