The colour scheme of the advert is
gold, which is used because the name of
the perfume is ‘Gold’. We can see Kim
wearing gold, which is a key indexical
signifier for wealth and royalty. Kim
Kardashian is a very famous reality star in
the US and currently holds position of
being the richest reality star in the States
so this is clearly portrayed throughout the
Mode of address
The mode of address used in this advert is
direct, as Kim is giving eye contact to the
audience as a way to allure them into
buying the product.
Kim’s physique is represented in this advert
3 times, as the medium shot is reflected in
different angles, moreover displaying her
riches such as her outstanding
earrings, expensive bracelets and
classic, gold dress. This also signifies her
different personalities – the woman we see
on TV (who is facing away from the
product in the two reflections) and the
woman facing us, who is very
provocative, seductive and mysterious. This
advert draws a lot of attention to Kim as it
has sex appeal. Kim’s cleavage is
highlighted to grab maximum attention
from the audience and is featured at the
middle of the advert, therefore being one
of the first things that people will notice
about the advert. This connotes femininity
and addresses the audience of whom is
typical to buy this product –
wealthy, young women who fit within the
social group of ABC1.
The name of the fragrance is at the bottom
of the advert, next to the image of the
Enforcing this image are signifiers which
allow the recipient to view the product as
glamorous and sexy; this reflects the
target audience and the use of
colour, props and facial expressions/body
language combined connote the
Our prior knowledge and experience is
being manipulated by this photographic
image; this image implies the
mysterious, sexy, pure status of the product
by inducing an indexical description
through the relationship between the
signifier, the Kim and the signified, which is
• Signifier = Iconic - the book, Looking for Alaska
• Signified = the book is superior to the audience as the shot is looking down upon us.
• The image is a close up shot of the book ‘Looking for Alaska’ by John Green. The image is
looking up towards the book, portraying how dominant the book is to the audience.
• The book is black against a white, floral duvet – conveys the contrast between the book
and makes it stand out. Colour scheme of light vs dark colours, white and yellow vs pink and
• Ideology – name is first thing we see as it is at the center of the picture.
• The focus of the camera makes the book seem more appealing as it uses a shallow
focus, this indexical signifier of the focus makes the book appear better.
• The denotation is simply the book as it is something you read however the connotations
from this image is that it is a book about love which is represented by the shallow focus of
the image and the pink roses in the background and the daisy on the front cover with the
heart on the ‘a’ for ‘Alaska’.
• Yellow connotes happiness, foreshadowing the books mood.