1. If you build it will they come?A Presentation on Digital Media Strategy, the tools available and bringing it to life.
2. “Today’s emerging physical reality of always-on, anytime,anyplace and anyhow digital access increasingly lookscertain to alter the ways in which many of us will interactwith cyberspace, with organizations, and with each other”- Christopher Barnatt, ExplainingTheFuture .com If you build it will they come?
3. “Digital is still the fastest growing area of marketing, customer retention andengagement.” - Dan MortimerMy Digital Theory of Relativity:Success = (Strategy + Engagement + Measurement + Analysis)∞For digital media success we need to develop a strong strategy, engage ouraudience, measure the reaction, listen and analyze and then start the processagain. If you build it will they come?
4. The Digital Media CycleA constant movement from strategy, to creation, to measurement and re-evalution, back to strategy Engagement & Measurement Encouragement Strategy/ Analysis Concept If you build it will they come?
5. “act more like Dale Carnegie and less like David Ogilvy: listening rst, selling second.” -Eric QualmanDeveloping the Strategy/ConceptKeys to planning a successful digital media strategy• Deﬁning your goals and objectives• Knowing you audience• Understand the technology• Developing a consistent message If you build it will they come?
6. Visitors to leads and leads to customer conversionsDe ning goals and objectives• Increase presence, develop a community• Increase followers, increase fans, increase network, increase sales• More comments on blogs, more conversions, more members, more indexedpages in google• Who are you, and what do you want to say?• Develop strategies for measuring success• Choosing the right KPI’s (Key Performance Indicator) and objectives• Which analytics do you choose to measure your success If you build it will they come?
7. “what they enjoy, what leaves them cold, what makes each of them totally unique”. -razor shKnowing your audience• What do they have to say and who are they saying it to• The “consumer” is replaced by the “community member”• Where are your customers online?• What are your customers social behaviours? Do they read content, commentetc?• Do you customers inﬂuence others?• Do Social networks or Particular web sites inﬂuence your customersdecisions?• Assess current client demographics, communication needs, and opinionsthrough paper, phone, and online surveys• Where a people are talking about your brand?• How do your customers use social technologies to learn, make decisions andsupport your products and/or services?• Targeting to one individual and cater to others• Must get an in-depth understanding of the client and their processes, spendtime with their brand
8. One consistent message that can be carried across all channelsDeveloping a consistent message• Develop a strong message theme (visual and written).• Form a relationship between message and audience• Develop message consistency across communication tools.• Clear and deﬁned calls to action• Easy to consume content• Form a link between message, audience and communication tool. If you build it will they come?
9. Develop an understanding of new technologies as a means to communicate with clientsand communityUnderstanding the technology• Technologies employed ﬁt and enhance the design on it’s delivery platform• What tools best engage your target audience• Companies need to be where their customers are online If you build it will they come?
10. “Ready, Steady, Go!”Other considerations• How much time and resources does the client have too invest in the strategy?• What are the their brands weaknesses and strengths?• Update the website add a blog and a starting standard (Facebook/Twitter).• Review current social media best practices• Who will manage the online/digital accounts and identity• Establish policies and procedures for digital media updates• Time management plan/Social media management tools• Optimize for search and introduce ads.• Start building your team and timelines• One budget and one strategy that can cut across all digital media channels toeffectively engage your target.• Online community beneﬁts from real life meeting – create events that bringcommunity together in a physical space and allow people to build connections If you build it will they come?
11. “Don’t talk at the community, talk with them” - Red AntEngagement & Encouragement• Listen carefully before you engage• A general shift in digital media from ‘Push’ to ‘Pull’• People are resisting being broadcast to and prefer to ﬁnd the information forthemselves• The people are in control, no longer the editors, publishers etc.• Offer interesting, real content• Talk back and join the conversation• Building customer and fan relationships to encourage repeat visits and sales• Be ﬂexible. Be ready to adapt to changing needs of your clients• Corporate blogs, Twitter and Facebook accounts are becoming standard• Understand that not all clients maybe using the same kind of tools ofengagement• Dipping your toes into viral video content can pay huge dividends If you build it will they come?
12. “As the digital landscape continues to evolve and becomes a more open forum, theability for brands to measure audience engagement and behavior will ultimately helpcompanies embrace the potential of the online space” - Julie CoultonMeasurement• Develop strategies to measure success• Develop a Measurement and Improvement program to assist in further goalsetting• Google analytics, bit.ly to measure links, conduct surveys, facebook insights• Tools like Tap11 or Hootsuite, Brandwatch, omniture, tweetmeme, postrankanalytics, Google insights to measure social media brand mentions• Measuring or noting any unexpected beneﬁts achieved from the digitalstrategy?• Cost-Per-Click, Cost-Per-Thousand, Cost-Per-Action• A plethora of digital media monitoring solutions If you build it will they come?
13. The ultimate aim of a digital strategy should be to move the audience through eachstep within the engagement path to achieve the stated goals of the digital strategy.Analysis• Sentiment analysis, measureing whether the comment on Twitter is positiveor negative for the brand: Viral heat, Twendz; Tweet feel, crimson hexagon,sentiment metrics• Other boardreading or social media sentiment searches: socialmention.com,icerocket.com and boardreader.com• Consumer preferences and feedback analysis• Start to formulate new ideas and strategy based on measurement andanalytical ﬁndings. Move with the conversation. Be ﬂexible and adapt. If you build it will they come?
14. Digital Media Droplets Mobile Email Online Oﬄine If you build it will they come?
15. SEOThe Online Droplet SEM Plugins CPC Open Standards Search Websites CPA Podcasts Publish Online Magazines/ Ebooks Widgets Microblogs Social E-commerce Banners Networks Share Social Games If you build it will they come?
16. The ultimate aim of a digital strategy should be to move the audience through eachstep within the engagement path to achieve the stated goals of the digital strategy.The Online Droplet (random) notes:• Large growing interest in HTML5 for more engaging interaction withoutplugins• Blogs/CMS – Joomla – Drupal – Wordpress – TYPO 3, RSS feeds• Banner campaigns – AdWords – PPC – CPC, CPA, CPM or CPT – Buying/Placement• Viral Video campaings/production• Websites, Twitter, Facebook and some form of blog are standards in themarketplace• Social Media Categories: Publish, Share, Discuss, Social networks, microblogs,lifestream, livecast, virtual worlds, social games,MMO• Search – SEO – SEM – Tracking – Brand Watching• Tracking/Analytics – companies• Web Apps – Startups, tools, services (Basecamp, mahalo)• Affiliate marketing, tradedoubler If you build it will they come?
17. The Mobile Droplet Foursquare Gowalla Geolocation Game Center Mobile MMS Games SMS Mobile TXT Native Apps Ads iAd Apps QR Code Web Apps AdMob If you build it will they come?
18. The ultimate aim of a digital strategy should be to move the audience through eachstep within the engagement path to achieve the stated goals of the digital strategy.The Mobile Droplet (random) notes:• SMS – QR Codes – Native Apps – Web Apps – TXT 888• Location based marketing offered from Cell carriers is beginning to grow• Mobile web marketing• In-game mobile marketing• In-App purchase for direct touch sales• Companies are starting to see real revenue coming in from mobile advertsing• Branded Functionality - designing an app that helps people solve problems If you build it will they come?
19. The Email Droplet Mailchimp BulkMailer Digital Newsletter Opt-in Email Email If you build it will they come?
20. The ultimate aim of a digital strategy should be to move the audience through eachstep within the engagement path to achieve the stated goals of the digital strategy.Email Droplet (random) notes:• Opt-in email advertsing• Although tricky due to spam still an effective way to create leads to yourproducts If you build it will they come?
21. The Oﬄine Droplet Kiosks Billboards/ E-Boards Stadium Word of Screens Mouth Retail Store Magazines Oﬄine TV CD Radio DVD Newspapers If you build it will they come?
22. An iProspekt study shows 40% of all online purchases are in uenced through oﬄinechannelsOﬄine Droplet (random) notes:• DVD’s, CD,s, Kiosks, Stadium Screens, Airports, Train Stations, Trade Fair/Expo etc.• Billboards/E-Boards• Word of Mouth• Newspapers• Television• Magazines• Cross-Media advertising, links or QR codes leading to landing pages etc. If you build it will they come?
23. E3 is one of Europes biggest independent marcom agency networks consisting of theindustrys brightest and creative marketing communications expertsBringing it to life E3 Digital Media Skills Database If you build it will they come?