A Related Problem:
The Discussion is A-Historical
What the school system needs to understand is that its
strength lies, not in the strength of the central organization,
but in the strength of the individual school, not in making
one school like another, but in making each school a distinct
unit. The need of the system is the preservation of its units,
so that each school can keep itself alive, wide awake,
responsive to its people, easily adaptable, the best of its kind.
Angelo Patri -- A Schoolmaster of the Great City
Science Leadership Academy
Coalition of Essential
• Learning to use one’s mind well.
• Less is More, depth over coverage
• Goals apply to all students
• Student-as-worker, teacher-as-coach
• Demonstration of mastery
• A tone of decency and trust
• Commitment to the entire school
• Resources dedicated to teaching and learning
• Democracy and equity
High Tech High
• Adult World Connection
• Common Intellectual
Christian Long’s Learning Manifesto
• “Playing Small Does Not Serve The World:” Your Brain Is Your Brand.
• What Would Socrates Do?
• Nobody Cares That You Walked Uphill Both Ways in the Snow.
• Got Passion? If Not, I’ll Tell You What To Care About.
• My Memory Is Only As Big As My Heart, Otherwise I’ll Stick With Google.
• Look It Up Or Die.
• Collaboration Ain’t About Holding Hands. It’s About Going Places Fast.
• This Will Go Down On Your Permanent Record.
• It Ain’t About the Technology, It’s About Being Inside the Story
• Nobody Knows the Answer. Get Comfy With the Questions.
A Convenient And Reasonably False Taxonomy
Research Collaborate Create Network Present
RSS Wikis Blogging Twitter uStream
Del.icio.us Docs Drupal Skype Flickr
Google Moodle Podcasting Facebook iTunes U
Wikipedia Digital Films IM Voicethread
We Can Invite the World To Our Schools
What is the role of teacher
in the age of Google?