1. SPREAD THE WORD Using Social Media to Extend Classroom CommunicationWIRED FOR SUCCESS CONFERENCE 2011 PRESENTED BY CHRIS TAYLOR
2. WHAT WE’LL LOOK AT IN 20 MINUTES ๏ Edmodo ๏ Backchannellin www.edmodo.com g www.todaysmeet.com ๏ Twitter on your class webpage www.twitter.com
3. WHAT IS EDMODO?• Free social learning network• Safe and teacher/student/ parent-friendly• Real-timeexchange of ideas and content, assignment submission, grade book and communication tool• Accessible online and by mobile device
4. WHAT DOES EDMODO DO?• Post and collect assignments• Distribute grades and descriptive feedback to individual students• Postonline content for discussion• Create small groups• Allows you to expand your professional community
7. EDMODO VS. GOOGLESITES VS. MOODLEWHY I PREFER EDMODO ...• Easeof use, setup and • Library of resources maintenance • Tracking and grading• Logindoesn’t require and assignments email address • Read-only option• Facebook-like appearance and functionality is familiar to • Nostudent-to-student students messaging• Easy to share content • Professional community
8. EDMODO VS. GOOGLESITES VS. MOODLE WHY I PREFER EDMODO ... THERE’S AN APP FOR THAT! Android iPhone/iPod Touch
9. EDMODO VS. GOOGLESITES VS. MOODLE WHY YOU MIGHT PICK THE OTHER GUY ...• Google Sites and Moodle • Easierto setup and control a are supported by the board variety of different sections, categories or pages• True document sharing and collaboration isn’t available in • Edmodo is limited to a feed- Edmodo style display• More customization/ branding
10. WHAT IS BACKCHANNELING?• In short, it’s a strategy for engaging your students in a real-time online discussion.
11. WHAT IS TODAYSMEET.COM?• Freebackchanneling website that creates a Twitter-style chat room• Created in seconds• No sign-up required• Real-time• Self-destructing
12. LET’S TAKE A LOOK INSIDE...
13. ALTERNATIVES TO TODAYSMEET๏ Edmodo ๏ Chatzy www.edmodo.com www.chatzy.com• Beneﬁts have already been • More like a chat room, presented proper setup will create a secure environment
14. USING TWITTER AS A COMMUNICATION TOOLUsing Twitter means quick andefﬁcient communication from mycell phone, and no need to accessthe school web site.
15. UPDATE TWITTER VIASMARTPHONE APP OR TEXT
16. WHAT DO YOU NEED?• Administrator access to setup a “Module” or simply put it right on your teacher page using embeddable code• If using a Module in Joomla: • JTweet (free from joomlabamboo.com) • JB Library plugin (also free from joomlabamboo.com)
17. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?• Homework and announcements posted in 140-characters• Parents(and students) can follow for immediate updates• Use the tools you’re already using: class webpage and a cellphone•A signiﬁcant timesaver
18. CHRIS TAYLOR Robert Munsch P.S.firstname.lastname@example.orgAccess this presentation on SlideShare:spreadtheword.taylorclass.ca Join the Edmodo group: W4S2011 Group Code: huw55x