1. christopher baker
freelance musician & work experience
2. Lesson Aims
• To introduce the concept and importance of being
creative to students
• To introduce the idea that there are businesses that
give advice on how to set up and run businesses
3. Lesson Outcomes
• All students will know what is meant by being
creative and understand the need for employees and
employers to be creative.
• Most students will also understand the need for
music businesses to seek advice to help start, run &
develop their organisation.
• Some students will also understand the concept and
practical nature of getting advice and support in
• Consider your THREE favorite foods?
• Share your ideas within a group of three and explain
WHY these are your favorite foods.
5. One Scenario
• A ‘food entrepreneur’ e.g. Jamie Oliver has become
very interested in the idea that every region or
country has some food dishes that are more popular
there than elsewhere or that are produced in that
• For example, Cheddar cheese is from Somerset,
Yorkshire pudding, Bakewell tart from Derbyshire,
Southern Fried Chicken, Italian Pizza etc.
6. One Scenario cont’d
• Your challenge is to come up with a food that is from
your region/culture or is popular in college/family, and
then come up with some creative marketing ideas
including a brand name to persuade the entrepreneur to
include it in their latest regional TV series.
• For instance, eggs are often referred to as “farm fresh” to
make them appealing, and milk is referred to as a natural
7. Foods Fast & Slow
• Working in small groups, come up with a food
theme such as ‘Yorkshire yoghurts’ or ‘Coventry
curries’ for your
• Your main marketing is going to be through the
• You should individually design your version of the
homepage for the website.
• Compare the different website homepages you have
made and then after a discussion choose the one you
think will be best for the group.
• Prepare a five minute presentation to communicate
your food ideas & website homepage.
• Your presentation must say what is distinctive about
your food and why they are already popular.
• Go on to explain how your ideas will improve the
foods and how the website will market the foods
• Include headings of the areas of your business which
would benefit from getting advice and support.
• In pairs present your ideas to rest of the group.
13. Extension/Home Learning
• Use the Merrill Lynch case study 2 .
• Go to the challenge page and over to you.
• Use the Get Creative section to be creative for your
new food business.
• How would you make your business a market leader
and be known all over the world?