To introduce the concept of Marketing Mix to students
To introduce the importance of Marketing Mix to
All students will know what is meant by Marketing Mix
and understand that price is a major factor in the
Most students will also understand the meaning of
brand loyalty and its importance an understand that
the Marketing Mix will differ for different products.
Some students will also understand the meaning and
importance of a strap line.
Marketing Mix Start 5mins
• Students to think of your favorite chocolate bar.
• Come up with three ways it is marketed and share
with a partner.
Scenario ethical chocolate
An ethical food company are offering a new ethically
sourced chocolate bar for sale. It is the same size as
standard bars from other companies, and has the same
kind of content as other milk chocolate bars. They want
it to be a different shape to standard bars and they
want it to be a way of educating people about ethically
sourced food. It is to be sold around the world.
Ethically Sourced? Discuss
• ‘ethically sourced’ means (fair wages to workers, fair
working conditions, sustainable.)
• Discuss differences in price when buying from
businesses that use ethically sourced products.
Chocolate Bar Marketing Brainstorm
• Work in pairs to brainstorm the elements that will
have to be taken into account when the new
chocolate bar is marketed.
Chocolate Bar Logo
• Think about what qualities you want to portray with
• Look at company logos. See over
• Design a brand name and a strapline* for the new
Chocolate Bar Cost
• Come up with a competitive pricing policy for the
• What will you charge for the bar and why?
• What factors do you think you need to consider
when pricing a new product.
• Come up with a strategy to promote the new bar.
• How will you generate interest in people buying it
and continuing to buy it?.....being “brand loyal”
End Marketing MIX
• All areas mentioned previously areas make up the
Marketing Mix for the product.
• Draw a diagram on A4 paper showing what goes into
the marketing mix.