freelance musician & enterprise
To introduce the concept and importance of communication
skills to students.
All students will be familiar with a range of communication
skills and will understand that communication is a vital part
of all aspects of life.
Most students will also understand how employers value
communication skills and how packaging can persuade
customers to buy a product.
• Students to work with a partner and pass a message
about something to do with a hobby or a favorite
piece of music using no words (written or spoken).
• Partners can ask questions to confirm understanding.
• How successful were you, which techniques were
• What situations can you think of where businesses
have to communicate a message?
• Students brainstorm ideas for the question “What is
meant by communication?”
• In small groups. Answer - What is needed to
communicate a message well?
Aspects of Communication
The aspects of communication: the
message, the sender, the media to be
used, the receiver and feedback
• Working in pairs and think about the most important
parts of each aspect.
• For example, the sender needs to know what they
are trying to communicate, the message needs to be
clear, the right media must be used
(paper, text, email, letter, multi media
message, visual, aural ), the receiver needs to be
aware of the message, it needs to be clear if
feedback is needed or not and what sort.
Three 15mins Convince Them!!
1. In groups of FOUR think of an event which would
enhance the lives of young people.
2. Come up with ways to communicate the plan to
different audiences in different ways.
3. E.g. posters, advertisements, flyers, speaking at
4. Each could be designed for a different part of the
5. The aim is to get people to take notice of the
6. The message must convince people your age & adults
of the importance of your event.
• What different ways of communicating your message
are there in this situation?
• Share ideas you have come up with in stage three.
• E.g. You may want to use local radio, posters or flyers
in local newspapers.
• Vote on the most effective methods.