Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
China Today A Look Inside One of the World’s Most Rapidly Changing Countries
China
China
Population <ul><li>1.3 billion people </li></ul><ul><li>homogenous population </li></ul><ul><li>92% are Han Chinese </li><...
Rural vs. Urban <ul><li>Most Chinese still live in small, rural villages. </li></ul><ul><li>However, many people are leavi...
Government <ul><li>Communist government </li></ul><ul><li>Economic freedom has not led to more political freedom. </li></u...
Violating Human Rights <ul><li>Many countries have accused China of not respecting human rights: </li></ul><ul><li>-Tianan...
Economy <ul><li>Mixed economy </li></ul><ul><li>Most Chinese are farmers, but industry is rapidly growing. </li></ul><ul><...
Farming
Industry
Education <ul><li>Education is extremely important. </li></ul><ul><li>Students must pass a test in order to get into good ...
Issues & Challenges <ul><li>air and water pollution </li></ul><ul><li>deforestation/loss of farmland </li></ul><ul><li>pov...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

China today

421

Published on

Published in: Travel, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
421
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
10
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "China today"

  1. 1. China Today A Look Inside One of the World’s Most Rapidly Changing Countries
  2. 2. China
  3. 3. China
  4. 4. Population <ul><li>1.3 billion people </li></ul><ul><li>homogenous population </li></ul><ul><li>92% are Han Chinese </li></ul><ul><li>55 other ethnic groups make up the remaining 8% of China’s population </li></ul><ul><li>90% live in the coastal areas of eastern China </li></ul><ul><li>growing at a rate of 7.5 million each year </li></ul>
  5. 5. Rural vs. Urban <ul><li>Most Chinese still live in small, rural villages. </li></ul><ul><li>However, many people are leaving China’s villages for its booming cities. </li></ul><ul><li>There are currently 9 cities in China with at least 4 million people. </li></ul><ul><li>Shanghai (13 million) and Beijing (12 million) are China’s largest cities. </li></ul>
  6. 6. Government <ul><li>Communist government </li></ul><ul><li>Economic freedom has not led to more political freedom. </li></ul><ul><li>Government controls most areas of everyday life. </li></ul><ul><li>Ex. The government controls newspapers and Internet access. </li></ul>
  7. 7. Violating Human Rights <ul><li>Many countries have accused China of not respecting human rights: </li></ul><ul><li>-Tiananmen Square </li></ul><ul><li>-Tibet </li></ul><ul><li>Many U.S. politicians want to limit trade with China until it shows more respect for human rights. </li></ul>
  8. 8. Economy <ul><li>Mixed economy </li></ul><ul><li>Most Chinese are farmers, but industry is rapidly growing. </li></ul><ul><li>Although many Chinese still live in poverty, economic growth has improved wages and living standards in China. </li></ul><ul><li>The Chinese currency is called the yuan. </li></ul>
  9. 9. Farming
  10. 10. Industry
  11. 11. Education <ul><li>Education is extremely important. </li></ul><ul><li>Students must pass a test in order to get into good schools. </li></ul><ul><li>Chinese students spend more time in school and have more homework than American students. </li></ul><ul><li>They do a great deal of studying! </li></ul>
  12. 12. Issues & Challenges <ul><li>air and water pollution </li></ul><ul><li>deforestation/loss of farmland </li></ul><ul><li>poverty </li></ul><ul><li>government control </li></ul><ul><li>human rights violations </li></ul><ul><li>defective products (i.e. food, paint, toys) </li></ul>
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×