What is social gaming?• Social gaming commonly refers to playing games as a way of social interaction, in opposition to playing games in solitude• It includes many types such as: Social casual games Board games Multi player video games Role playing games Miniature war gaming Alternative reality games
Online gaming in the Arab cultureMuhannad Ebwini, General Manager of OneCard, said: "Internetusage in the Middle East has grown more than 1,300% from the year2000 to the present, with many users attracted to online gaming. Giventhe regions mainly young population and aggressive investments intoIT infrastructure, internet gaming has the potential to become a majorincome generator in this part of the world. The Arab gaming sectorneeds to explore opportunities and broaden its market so that it cankeep pace with the exponential growth in global online gaming andeventually become one of this rapidly evolving industrys keymarkets."
Online gaming and education • Gaming is known to increase muscle memory, and increase the internal and external competitive spirit related to learning opportunities. • Moreover, social gaming could be easily understood by learners where they stimulate real life problems.
• Eureka, a worldwide education concept that is new in the UAE is expected to draw attention and be installed in different academic institutions in the UAE.• It has been adopted by five schools and two colleges, including the College of Medicine, Sharjah, and Zayed University, Dubai, during the year of 2010.
• Zynga is basically a social networking games platform. It is known for producing online games which can be played with friends and other people across various platforms such as, social networking websites, mobile phones, and on the web.• Zynga was first founded in July 2007 by Mark Pincus, Scott Sale, Kyle Stewart and John Doerr. The company named "Zynga" came from an American bulldog that was once owned by Mark Pincus. Therefore, they used the bulldog as their symbol.
• The games developed by Zynga range from farming, to playing poker, building a business empire, fishing and many more• In 2010 alone, they were recorded to have made over $450- $600 million in sales.• For instance, Farmville has more than 60 million active users alone
Zynga’s Business Model:• Support It is supported through two means; direct credit card payments and partner businesses. “Energy” elements
Why/How is it successful?• Its cost effective• Its appeal to people needs and wants• Sticky games• Using the portal of Facebook• Using capital resources wisely
What does Scads (scam ad) mean?• A Scad is a blend of the words scam and advertisement, which refers to internet spam.• Scam ads attract consumers to click on their site using a brand name or an outrageous deal while in turn providing suspect products and deals.
• During Zyngas first years in the market, it was criticized for its scads.• On October 31, 2009 from TechCrunch said that "Zynga intentionally worked with scam advertisers, and that lead generation made up a third of Zyngas revenue".• Several law suits were filed against Zynga for promoting such offers.• Zynga removed all ads for a time, relying only on direct purchase of game currency, then began reintroducing third party ads only after they had been screened.
• Zyngas mission is to connect the world through games but in a socially fun approach.• Therefore the ads should contribute to and be consistent with the overall user fun experience.
Zyngas advertising guidelines• Advertising Compliance: Third Party Website Ad Guidelines• Zynga Trademarks and Intellectual Property• Ad Copy and Image Content• Landing page / Destination URLs• Prohibited Ad Categories and Content• Discounts, bonuses, free offers• Subscription Services• Data and Privacy