Groups in Bangalore, NYC, DC, Silicon Valley, London, Japan and more
Cloud Operators (Small Teams, Enterprise IT Department, Public Cloud Operators)Care about the underlying architectureOwe their users an SLAThe goal is to support their users in just the right waysCloud Users (Application Developers, IT Operations, DevOps Teams)Differing workload stylesCare about speed and flexibilityFocused on supporting the real end users…
Don’t consider these numbers absolute in terms of installed clouds, instead focus on the correlation between the development and user community growth.Users in this context are primarily the operatorsThis level of correlation is a strong indicator of project longevity.
Parting thought… How many of you have done this?
The value of any infrastructure should be tied to the value that the applications running on it provide to the end usersOur project’s job is to make the operator happy, in service of the application owners, in service of the end users.
1. I have two questions for you today.
2. Question:How’s our community doing?
3. We Graduated!We are now a Top Level Project at the ASFThis was less than 1 year from CloudStackentering the Incubator
4. Since August 2010:Over 18,000 commitsby hundreds of developerscreating 2.5 million lines of code
5. We Released 4.1.0Significant Architectural Improvements20 new features, 24 “improvements”, 155bug fixesHelped several 2.x users be able toupgrade to 4.1
8. Educating OthersCloudStack University InitiativeGoogle Summer of Code ProjectsApache CloudStack Training Courses
10. User Groups Have FormedAround the Globe
11. Japan CloudStack UserGroup (JCSUG) Hundreds of members Coordinated release testing Doc Translation Sprints Working with LPI Japan to create anOSS Cloud certification Active in multiple cities throughoutJapan
12. Question:How’s our community doing?Answer:We’re stronger than ever, andgrowing rapidly
13. Question:How are users affectingthe Apache CloudStack project?
14. CloudStack’s Users Are Cloud Operators Want to easily design, install, support, upgrade and scale theirdiverse cloud platforms Application Owners Want infrastructure to get out of the way of deliveringapplications to the end users
15. 272+ Operators in Production
16. We are usersBuilds the next generation of developersDrives project sustainabilityImproves qualityWhy is this so important?
17. Our User Focus Has Given Us Strong support for both traditional and cloud-era workloads Flexible deployment options and infrastructure choice Real-world experiences with scale Upgrades that work New technology integrations by and for the operators Testing of our APIs from diverse consumer tools
18. Question:How are users affectingthe Apache CloudStack project?Answer:They’re driving the Project
19. Announcing the NextCloudStack Collaboration ConferenceAmsterdamNovember 20-22, 2013
20. Let’s make sure we avoid thismoment for our users…
21. Because infrastructure andapplications are means to an end.Our job is to make them easy to consume.