&#x2022;&#xA0;&#xA0;&#xA0; Guillermo G&#xF3;mez-Pe&#xF1;ao&#xA0;&#xA0;&#xA0; Virtual Barrio @ The Other Frontier &#x2013; Communication, Mobilization, Utopias, Identity, Language, and the Internethttp://www.fundacion.telefonica.com/at/egomez.html o&#xA0;&#xA0;&#xA0; &#x201C;&#x2026;we were perplexed by the fact that when referring to cyber-space or the net, they spoke of a politically neutral/raceless/genderless and classless "territory" which provided us all with "equal access", and unlimited possibilities of participation, interaction and belonging, specially "belonging"(in a time in which no one feels that they "belong" anywhere).&#x201D;
Please turn in:
• Two GIF animations
• Creative Briefs
‣ Save as PDF
Timeline Last day
March April May of class
9 16 23 30 6 13 20 27 4 11 18 25
Strategy Present ﬁnal projects
Research and discovery
brief personas Validation
sitemap Site development revisions
Letʼs think about Strategy to help us
understand what we want to learn during
• Marketing Research
‣ Is there a viable market for my product or service?
‣ Where are the best markets?
• User Research
‣ How do users use my product or service?
‣ Why do they use it?
‣ What are my usersʼ goals? 7
Research & Discovery
During the Research & Discover phase we want to
learn about our the product or service and learn about
our usersʼ goals
• Letʼs ask a few questions to help us think about this:
‣ How much?
Inspiration: The Back of the Napkin, by Dan Roam 8
One page that describes:
• Project summary
• Goals and mission of the site
• Primary audience
• Site features
• Observe how users behave, what their
habits are, and what their goals are
• Normally conducted by living with your
subjects and observing their daily lives
• However, we can conduct this type of
research by interviewing users to get
(roughly) the same information
• When was the last time you...?
• How did it feel when you...?
• Why do you...?
• Walk me through the steps from beginning
to end of what you did the last time you...
• Do you talk to friends or relatives about...?
• Used to synthesize and
document what was
learned during user
• Fictitious person who
represents a distinct group
• A tool for designers to
empathize with users
• Before writing,
designing, or coding,
determine what the
scope of your site
will be by creating
• Use Adobe Illustrator
• After the sitemap is created, determine:
‣ what will go on each page,
‣ how the navigation will work,
‣ how much room there will be for content
• Use wireframes as a visual checklist for
the functionality and layout
• Create wireframes for the key pages of
• Usually start with the Home Page and
Basic Sublevel pages
Homework due March 30
• Conduct User Research by interviewing at
least two people who would user your product
or enjoy your service
• Create a User Persona by April 13
• Build a Sitemap
• Create two Wireframes: Home Page and
• Read the chapter "Page Design" in Web Style