And it’s impact in the business world
– I wanted to learn more about how social media is
used in the work place and successful business.
This topic was very relevant to my studies and
possibly in future job positions
• Plan of Study:
– I studied the way social media effects costumers
and how it makes an impact on society. I also
studied the possible advantages social media
provided to businesses.
Areas of Study
– a social networking website that allows registered
users to create profiles, upload photos and video,
send messages and keep in touch with friends,
family and colleagues.
Areas of Study
– a real-time information network that connects
users to the latest stories, ideas, opinions and
news about what they find interesting. Users
simply find the accounts they find most
compelling and follow the conversations.
Areas of Study
– A social networking website for people in
professional occupations. It is mainly used for
professional networking. LinkedIn currently has
more than 225 million users.
Areas of Study
• I chose these three social media sites to cover
a very wide area. These tools are very
different, but they all have the same purpose.
• provides businesses with the opportunity to create and grow a community
of customers and potential sales leads.
• is the biggest social network with many users still joining. With a business
account, it is very easy to promote and sell your company with the work at
your finger tips.
• offers a completely different user experience for companies business
• Facebook allows you to:
Create a separate page from your personal account.
Link your personal account and other types of social media
Use tools to promote your business such as display of email, website, hours,
pictures, events and description of company. 4
Facebook is used as an outlet to opinions; whether they be good or bad. As
much as Facebook could be helping your business, it can also destroy your
business with negative content.
• False Fan-base
Offers and promotions often require a potential customer to “Like” the
business’s page. However, Facebook allows it’s users to “Unsubscribe”. This
means all content a business may post will be hidden from a users news feed.
Most large companies have hired a number of employees to keep track of
their social networking. However, keeping up with questions and posting can
be difficult for small companies. Failing to keep up with customers can make
the company look bad. 5
• Provides businesses with a very direct approach to selling their business
and allows companies to be all about connecting with others.
• Is growing quickly and is the next biggest social network next to Facebook.
Twitter is seeing almost 1 million accounts open every single day, which
gives companies and businesses great exposure.
• Allows you to post links to other social media platforms to engage other
users that follow.
• Provides tools for businesses such as
Tweets: a short, direct statement that can be seen by a user’s followers.
Hash tags: (#) allow users and companies to tag topics of interest.
Re-tweeting: (RT) allows users and companies to share other tweets or
interest with their own followers. 6
• Busy Twittersphere:
Since many users follow several pages and tweet more than once a day, a
tweet may get buried very quickly. The only way a user will be able to see
what you posted after that has happened would be to visit your page.
• Visually Impaired
Twitter was made to allow users to share their thoughts in a very short and
sweet way. However, Twitter does not work with visual aids very well. Any
picture you may post will be posted in link form.
• Advertisement Not Guaranteed
Twitter allows for certain tweets to be “promoted”, but first you must be
approved by Twitter. You cannot just buy advertising space like Facebook.
• Limited Space
A disadvantage known not only to businesses – a tweet can only be 140
characters, limiting your ability to advertise. 7
• Provides businesses with a large professional network to promote
themselves, establish connections and build relationships.
• Is used for promoting a business for potential employees rather than
advertising for potential customers.
• Is considered the largest professional network in the world.
• Provides users with tools similar to Twitter such as:
Re-posting another users posting/article.
Updates that allow you to share what users want.
Pages dedicated to connecting, news, jobs, and communities. 8
LinkedIn stands as being the largest professional network in the world, but
still is not as popular as Facebook or Twitter. Many social media users are still
not engaged in LinkedIn. Companies may not be so successful if LinkedIn is
their only networking tool.
Along with Facebook, LinkedIn pages can be very time-consuming. A page can
become very unsuccessful if a page is not well maintained. 9
1. I learned all about how different social media
platforms are used to promote businesses. I
have even come to conclusion that well
promoted business would invest their time in
all three of the social networks I have
2. Along with my research for this project, I had
the opportunity to learn about social media
in a Web Design course. I was able to make a
test business page for each one of these
social networks and test out each tool the
site had to offer. Personally, I like Facebook’s
platform better because it is very user