Transcript of "system software and application software, compiler, interpreter & assembler"
Topic- system & Application software
presented by- Chetan birla
All physical contents of computer are hardware.
This form is given to all electrical and mechanical
devices attached to the computer for the purpose
of input, process, and storage and output
Software is a general term used for computer
Programs. A computer program is a planned, step
by step set of instructions that directs the
computer what to do and how to do
◦ The programs directly related to the computer
hardware and perform tasks associated with
controlling and utilizing computer hardware
◦ An application is a job or task a user wants to
accomplish through a computer.
◦ Application software are programs that help a user
perform a specific job.
System software is computer software
designed to operate the computer
hardware, to provide basic
functionality, and to provide a
platform for running application
System software includes device
drivers, operating systems, servers,
utilities, and window systems.
System software is responsible for
managing a variety of independent
hardware components, so that they
can work together harmoniously.
System control programs
◦ controls the execution of programs, manage the storage &
processing resources of the computer & perform other
management & monitoring function.
◦ The most important of these programs is the operating
System support programs
• provide routine service functions to the other computer
programs & computer users: E.g. Utilities, libraries,
• Ex:Text editors, language translators such as BASIC interpreter
System Development Programs
◦ They assists in the creation of computer programs. Examples
of system development are –
◦ programming language, language translations.
Application software are the software that are
designed to satisfy a particular need of a particular
All software prepared by us in the computer lab.
Examples of application software are-student
record software, railway reservation software,
income tax software, word processors etc.
Examples include enterprise software, accounting
software, office suites, graphics software and
1) Opera (Web Browser)
2) Microsoft Word (Word Processing)
3) Microsoft Excel (Spreadsheet software)
5) MySQL (Database Software)
6) Microsoft Powerpoint (Presentation
7) iTunes (Music / Sound Software)
8) VLC Media Player (Audio / Video Software)
9) World of Warcraft (Game Software)
10) Adobe Photoshop (Graphics Software)
Compiler: a program that translates an
executable program in one language into an
executable program in another language
Typically lowers the level of abstraction
analyzes and reasons about the program &
◦ Translation of a program written in a source
language into a semantically equivalent program
written in a target language
◦ Oversimplified view:
Software development tools are available to
implement one or more compiler phases
Syntax-directed translation engines
Automatic code generators
A computer program that executes
instructions written in a programming
language and do not produces the executable
Checks the keywords of a program
Taking one instruction at a time and convert it into machine
language before taking upon the next instruction.
Examples of interpreter based language:
Interpreter: a program that reads an
executable program and produces the results
of running that program
Interpreters: Convert a source program and
execute it at the same time.
Performing the operations implied by the source
An assembler is a type of computer program that
interprets software programs written in assembly
language into machine language, code and
instructions that can be executed by a computer.
An assembler enables software and application
developers to access, operate and manage a
computer's hardware architecture and
An assembler is sometimes referred to as the
compiler of assembly language. It also provides
the services of an interpreter.
To convert the assembly language into
Translate mnemonic operation codes to
their machine language equivalents.
Assigning machine addresses to
• Programmer write a program using a sequence of
• This sequence of assembler instructions, known
as the source code/source program, then
specified to the assembler program when that
program is started.
• It translates a source code into machine
• The output of the assembler program is called
the object code or object program.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.