What do you know about probability? Design a game, or find a game that uses probability, and explain the chance of each possible outcome (eg: the chance of throwing a 6 on 2 dice, landing on red on a spinner).
What’s the Chance?
• Create your own probability game or activity using
probability materials such as dice, colored blocks, marbles or spinners. You can also
use your creativity and use more unusual materials.
• Make an instruction sheet and prepare the materials ready to share your activity
with the class on Thursday November 4.
• List all the possible outcomes in your game. Explain the probability/chance of
getting each of the possible outcomes.
• Simpler task: Find a game that uses probability. Explain the possible outcomes and
the chance of getting each possible outcome.
Due Date: Thursday November 4
Standards and Criteria for Success
Your activity or game should include:
• Clear instructions
• All the materials necessary to play the game
• A list of the possible outcomes
• An explanation of the chance of getting each of the possible outcomes
Rubric for Probability Experiment
Clarity of Listing all Explanation of Creativity
Instructions Possible Probability
4 Very clear and Accurate list of all Gives a very clear and Very creative.
well set out possible outcomes for detailed explanation of Use of original
instructions. game. the chance of getting ideas or resources
each of the possible to create the game.
3 Clear and well Fairly accurate list Gives an explanation of Creative use of
set out including most of the the chance of getting standard ideas or
instructions. possible outcomes for most of the possible resources to create
game. outcomes. the game.
2 Fairly clear Some possible Gives an explanation of Use of a game
instructions. outcomes for the the chance of getting (bought or already
Some game are listed but one of the possible created) which
important are incomplete. outcomes. involves
information is probability.
1 Unclear None or only one of No explanation of the Use of simple
instructions. the possible chance of getting the ideas or resources
It isn’t possible outcomes is listed. possible outcomes. to create a game
to follow them. which has some