1. Digital MediaThe basics of media strategy and planningCherylann SmithDigital Media specialist2011
2. Plan not for the people youreach, but for the peoplethey reach.
3. Digital Media Planning procedures encompass:• clearly deﬁning the campaign parameters• carefully analysing and understanding the target market & objective• strategically matching that to the mobile and online media space• with an optimised combination of targeted high trafﬁc sites & contextual wow • focusing on delivering on the campaign objective & effective reportingDigital Media ApproachMedia Plan:Finding sites thattarget your audiencewhere they are.
4. What do I need for awow media plan?
5. Media Planning Process BriefResearch & BrainstormingStrategic Idea, Budget Segmentation & PlanningProposalMedia ScheduleCreative Mix MatrixBuying & NegotiatingMonitoring & OptimizationInsights & ReportingDirecon Ideaon Unpack the brief Means of achieving objecves Present ideas Taccs Messaging Cost eﬃciency Delivery Learnings
6. Digital Media Brief: Roadmap to awesome Media Plan#Overview#Campaign Objective#Digital Objective#Audience: Key target market#Campaign Dates#Budget#Measure of success#Campaign Elements#Supporting media
7. People arebombardedby brandscontactingthem andadvertisingevery day…How will your campaignstand out and beeffective?How will your campaignstand out and beeffective?How will your campaignstand out and beeffective?
8. Who are we talking to?Who are they?Where are they?Where do they engage?What do they consume?What do they like?How do they behave?When do they share?
9. Who are we talking to?
10. Meet your audience• savvy, sophisticated and particular• jaded and just about immune to traditional advertising• instinctive sense of quality and fair pricing• inundated with choices• understand that countless brands covet their business• intensely sceptical of new brands• use brands as important forms of self-expression• respond to a brand’s emotional appeal, not to tangible orfunctional attributes tough customers?!!… so how do you build an emotionallypotent brand that connects with the Connected Generation? source: Mind Your X’s and Y’s by Lisa Johnson & Cheri Hansen, 2009
11. Ok, so I know who they are, and where to ﬁndthem, Now what?
12. The approach to a mediasolution entails a shift fromadvertising to social inﬂuence. The objective of the media is:# acquire new customers # retain existing customers# get the community talking about the offers, brand or product # to participate with the brand# brand afﬁnity# drive sales, ROI, Connect the brand with the consumer Proposal must show client how you plan to
14. Choose your channels wiselyThere aremany tochoose fromJesse Thomas have created the Conversation Prism
15. Copy Writing & MessagingEvery element of copy has onepurpose: Call to action!
16. Media BuyingKnowledge ofestimating costsSavvy negotiatingAdded ValueEvent marketingGreatrelationshipsVolumeImpelement
17. ReachFrequencyTrafﬁcConversionInteractionsTransactionsYou can measure
18. Cherylann SmithJozi town@mylifescapeDigital explorer & native, optimist,social creature, believer in loveExplorative social stickyForever young