Why the European Union?Prepared byChernenko Alena
Europe’s mission in the 21st century• provide peace, prosperity and stability for its peoples;• overcome the divisions in the continent;• ensure that its peoples can live in safety;• promote balanced economic and social development;• meet the challenges of globalisation and preserve the diversity of the peoples of Europe;• uphold the values that Europeans share, such as sustainable development and a sound environment, respect for human rights and the social market economy.
1. Peace, prosperity and stability Era of wars “New era” of peace and stability World War II 1939 1951 - Establishment of European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) 1945
2. Overcoming the divisions 1989 - The fall of the Berlin Wall
3. Safety and security Security Internal External• Fight against terrorism and • Protection of military andorganized crime strategic interests•Main bodies: • Working with allies - Europol • Participation in NATO - Eurojust
4. Economic and social solidarity Germany – Largest EU economy - Only 3,9% of World GDP EU USA USA GermanyEU – 20% of World GDPUSA – 19,7% of World GDP
5. Identity and diversity “United in diversity”
Human 6. European rights values Sound Social environment solidarity EuropeanCultural values Freediversity enterprise Fair Mixture of distribution tradition of fruits of and progress economic growth
Links • www.europa.eu• International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database, October2010: Nominal GDP list of countries. Data for the year 2010.