5. Green chemistry is a pro-activeapproach to pollution preventionIt targets pollution at the designstage, before it even begins.It is designing chemical produtsand processes that reduce oreliminate the use and thegeneration of hazardoussubstances.
6. PRINCIPLES OF GREEN CHEMISTRY Waste reduction in chemical synthesis Using rawmaterials and feedstocks from renewable sources Employing catalysts. Avoiding chemical derivatives. Maximising atom economy
7. Replacing or reducing solvents.Increasing energy efficiency ofchemical reactionsUsing in-process or real timemonitoring.Other process safety andenvironmental consideration.
8. GREEN CHEMISTRY IN PHARMACEUTICAL Currently,the pharma industry is trying to curb spending in the industry. Green chemistry offers significant cost advantages. Compared with other sectors in its green practices,the pharma ranks low The E-factor
9. AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY GREEN CHEMISTRY INSTITUTE [ACSGCI] In 2005,several firms along with ACSGCI established the GCI Phrmaceutical Round table [ACSGCIPR]. The major companies included in this are Pfizer,Johnson&Johnson, Astrazeneca, GalaxoSmithKline etc. They reviewed work in 14 areas.
10. THE AREAS REVIEWED BY ACSGCIPRSolvent reduction or replacement.OxidationAmide formationAssymetric hydrogenationsFlourinationCarbon-hydrogen activationBio catalysisChemistry in waterAlcohol activation for nucleophilic displacem’tFriedel-crafts chemistryContinous processing intensificationSupercritical fluid chromatography separation
11. GSK’S ECO-DESIGN TOOL KIT A Green chemistry &technological guide A material guide to solvents & bases with related environmental health &safety data A fast lifecycle assesment for synthetic chemistry that streamlines evaluations of environmental lifecycle & measures green metrics A green packaging guide A guide that identifies legislation phasing out hazardous substances
12. SOME HIGH PROFILE SUCCESSES IN PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY Rochebetters route for Pyridinylimadazole – based drug. Merck’s green process for Raltegravir Pfizer’s green synthesis of Pregabalin Eli Lilly optimizes production of neurokinin-1 antagonist