Evolution of Web Technologies
1994 HTML 2
1997 HTML 4
1998 CSS 2
2000 XHTML 1
2002 Tableless Web Design
2009 HTML 5
2011 CSS 3
The Browser is the new OS
● The browser is the convergence of web
● Connects services with applications
● Makes devices talk to applications
● Is cross-platform
● A browser is today your emails, your work,
your music, your phone, your games, your
movies, your TV...
HTML5 + CSS3 +
One stack to rule them all
HTML5 - Real Time Communications
HTML5 - Semantics & Markups
<header>, <nav>, <footer>...
link relations: alternate, nofollow, icon…
New Form types (input types). Great on
mobile phones also.
● Define, store, and retrieve custom data on
the DOM. (data-*)
HTML5 - File & Hardware Access
● File Upload / Drag and Drop support
● Offline storage
○ Web Storage (local and session types)
■ < 5MB limit
○ WebSQL & IndexedDB
■ Not supported in all browsers. IE, Windows
■ One deprecated, the other not so mature.
● GeoLocation: must for mobile devices!
● Others: speech input, orientation...