Warp Films is an independent UK film
production company. It is based in Sheffield
& London, UK with a further office in
15-year-old Oliver Tate has two objectives: To lose his virginity
before his next birthday, and to extinguish the flame between his
mother and an ex-lover who has resurfaced in her life.
$41,832 (USA) (3 June 2011)
$466,702 (USA)(12 August 2011)
Pontsticill Reservoir, Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales, UK
Toronto International Film Festival (12 September 2010)
Issues Raised by media ownership
• Submarine is written by Joe Dunthorne, so
keeping the author’s ownership is an issue.
• Directed by Richard Ayoade; his debut film
• Distributed by The Weinstein Company
• Warp films works outside major conglomerates,
and works in partnership with other small
companies in the UK to help with production and
distribution. Ben Stiller even helped produce the
• Film 4 gave funded the development
Cross-media convergence and synergy
Soundtrack by the Arctic Monkeys
No synergy took place with Submarine; the making of
the film depended on lots of companies working
• Dragon DI, Wales IP Fund (Helped fund/develop
• Film 4, Warp Films, Channel 4 - Richard Ayoade being a
big star of IT Crowd helped with funding the venture
Technology introduced in recent years
• Some actors were recruited after sending in
video tapes of their performances.
• Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Radio and
youtube interviews with Richard Ayoade
• Filmed in 35mm, which reflected the era it’s
been set in. More personal for Richard
• Companies such as Dragon Digital helped
Technological convergence for
institutions and audiences
• Dragon Digital (Sound Editing)
• Film 4
• Twitter hype
• Big Celebs
Issues raised by targeting of national and
local audiences by international/global
Filmed in Pontsticill Reservoir, Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales, UK and other
parts of the UK: People from these locations will be tempted to see how Submarine
portrays their local area
Won’t get as much global hype as Pacific Rim, but may gain some viewers who will be
interested to know about British culture/UK
Ben Stiller helps produced, meaning that there will be a US audience.
Significance of proliferation in
hardware & context for institutions &
• Soundtrack: Fans of Arctic Monkeys will be fans of
• Cross convergence with lots of minor editing
companies means a bigger interest in their works.
More money is made for the separate industries.
• Dragon Digital: ArriLaser systems, Experienced
technicians, DCP mastering, Subtitling, Encryption,
Digital Cinema Distribution Master, Key Delivery
Message can also be created to satisfy any delivery
• Dragon Digital offer a more personal service for
Submarine as opposed to a big budget film own by
a conglomerate that shall use other parts of their
company to edit and distribute their film.
If films were suits, Submarine would be bespoke.