These unfortunate examples were taken from an actual college recruiter’s blog. • 2stoned2care@.....com • SexeeKate88@.....com • YetAnthrWhiteKid@.....com • ynghungstud@.....comUse a professional email
• “Hello … hello? … • “Hey this is Bryan, hello? … Just you know what to Kidding, leave me a do.” message.” Professionalize Your Voicemail, Bro
Objectives Profiles• Tell employers what you • Tell employers what you want. can do for them.First Impressions
Sample Objective Sample Profile• Desire technical editing • Highly skilled technical position with supervisory writer with three years responsibilities in an publishing experience. engineering firm. Knowledgeable in current web design technology. Experienced communicator and team player. Which should you choose?
Don’tinclude apicture…No matter how flattering.
Peer Advisor Peer Advisor• Sociology Department, • Worked in partnership with University of Oregon, the Faculty Advisor with Eugene assigned students • Assisted over 300 students throughout their first (as a member of a four- person team) to provide academic year and help improved them answer the academic understanding and planning and social questions of university requirements common in the first year. • Evaluated academic records informing students of academic standingSell it. Don’t tell it.
• PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY: Award-winning corporate controller with more than ten years experience in two $500 million corporations. Impressive record in implementing financial record database architecture that saved over $2 million annually. Proficient in Oracle, Prism, Red Brick, and SAP systems, as well as MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and FrontPage."Outsmart the computer
• Numbers• Dates• Breaks in Work History• Sales• Costs Savings• GPA or major GPABe specific
• Use at least a 10-point font•• It doesn’t do any good …• that your resume is just one page …• if no one can read it.Font Size and Type
If not, there are things you can include.• Relevant hobbies and interests• Volunteer experience• Sports• Clubs• Leadership roles• Meaningful coursework• Honors and awardsAre you experienced?
• Unless you are this guy …• Picture-based resumesCreate a text-only version
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.