Fun with Form B Dr. Albert Harper Forensic Science Consor:um
LENOX HISTORICAL COMMISSION • OLGA WEISS • LUCY KENNEDY • BOB ROMEO • JAN CHAGUE • AL HARPER • JIM BIANCOLO • SUZANNE PELTON
OUR CHARTER • MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS • Chapter 40 Sec:on 8D • Historical Commission, establishment, power and du:es. • Sec:on 8D. A city or town which accepts this sec:on may establish an historical commission, hereinaRer called the commission, for the preservaon, protecon and development of the historical or archeological assets of such city or town.
OUR MISSION It is the mission of the Lenox Historical Commission to: • build apprecia:on of Lenox history; • provide guidance on the treatment of buildings, landscapes and neighborhoods so as to preserve Lenox history; • provide leadership in actual preserva:on eﬀorts through support for funding eﬀorts (grants, studies, etc.) and development of appropriate by-‐ laws.
FORM B HISTORY • Form B is the historical building survey recorded in the MARCIS database for every town in Massachuse]s. • MACRIS Form B can be found at www.mch-‐macris.net 330 Form B’s for Lenox 332 for Williamstown 405 for Great Barrington 569 for Stockbridge
Implemen:ng the Plan • Larson Fisher Associates – Historic Preserva:on and Planning Service 1) Historic District Update Standardize terminology Digital images Review boundaries Assess poten:al for Na:onal Register 2) Outside Historical District (38 proper:es) Construc:on dates Architectural styles Assess poten:al for Na:onal Register
GREAT COTTAGES • Not part of the update, because of the excellent documenta:on provided in Jackson and Gilder’s “Houses of the Berkshire”.
www.historicnewengland.org Architectural Style Guide This guide is intended as an introduc:on to American domes:c architectural styles beginning with First Period colonial architecture through the Colonial Revival architecture of the early twen:eth century. The guide focuses on common stylis:c trends of New England and is therefore not inclusive of all American architecture. First Period 1600 -‐1700 Georgian 1700 -‐1780 Federal 1780 -‐1820 Greek Revival 1825 -‐1860 Gothic Revival 1840 -‐1880 Italianate 1840 -‐1885 Second Empire 1855 -‐1885 Queen Anne 1880 -‐1910 Colonial Revival 1880 -‐1955
65 Main The Academy Lenox Academy 1803 This Federal style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and is intact. It has a ﬁve-‐bay center entrance; wood frame; hipped roof; and an octagonal cupola with a spire atop a tall square base. On January 5, 1803, a group of twenty-‐ﬁve Lenox ci:zens pe::oned the State Legislature to grant an incorpora:on to their group for the purpose of establishing an Academy. They were incorporated February 22, 1803 as “The Berkshire Academy,” the name being changed to the Lenox Academy in June of that year. The Academy closed in 1866, serving as a public high school from 1869 un:l 1879. In 1879, under the direc:on of Judge Julius Rockwell, the building was moved to a new founda:on and repaired, reopening the following year under principal Harlan H. Ballard. In 1886 the building was again put to use as a public high school, serving in that capacity un:l 1908. The Academy was incorporated as a private school, the Trinity School, in 1911 and remained in opera:on as such un:l the 1920’s. ARer a period of vacancy and the threat of demoli:on, the decision was made at a special town mee:ng to preserve the building, and in 1947 the trustees of the Academy turned the building over to the town. Listed on Na:onal Register of Historic Places
7 Hubbard – Zadock Hubbard Israel Dewey House Birchwood Inn Tavern 1770 This Colonial Revival style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been altered. It now has a 4-‐bay, wood frame; mansard roof with a den:led band at the cornice, gable roof dormers and shed dormer on the rear ell. The original por:on of the structure was the home of Israel Dewey, one of Lenox’s earliest se]lers. Dewey, who established a home in the area by 1764, was one of the proprietors of Lenox and served in a number of public posi:ons. Like many Berkshire householders, Dewey was licensed as an innkeeper. He leR Lenox for Vermont in the early 1790’s, and aRer several changes in ownership the property was acquired by Zadock Hubbard in 1798. He enlarged the house and opened it as the Hubbard Tavern. In 1806 the building was sold to Azariah Egleston, a locally prominent man, and converted back to a private residence.
7 Main Street Maj. Gen. John Paterson House 1783 This Federal style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been minimally altered. It is 5-‐bay, center entrance construc:on. It has wood frame; clapboard siding a hipped roof with molded cornice with den:led band below. This house was built for Major General John Paterson, a friend, counselor and comrade of General George Washington, and led the Berkshire troops.. He was an advisor to George Washington and crossed the Delaware with him. Major General Paterson did not occupy this house for long, for in 1790 he re:red to Lisle, New York, where he died in 1808. The house passed to his daughter, Hannah Paterson, and her husband Major Azariah Egleston, who had served under Paterson and also par:cipated in most of the major ba]les of the revolu:on. Egleston later served as Jus:ce of the Peace and state senator. The house remained in the Egleston family through the 19th century, although later genera:ons used it as a summer residence. The building was purchased by the Lenox Na:onal Bank in 1968 and has operated as a bank since 1971.
17 Main Electa Eddy House Summer White House C 1886 This Queen Anne style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been minimally altered. 4-‐bay, wood frame, asymmetrical form w/hipped roof, several gable dormers; 3 brick chimneys-‐2 on R side, 1 on L; This house was built on the site of an earlier house demolished in the late 1870’s. The lot was purchased from the owner of that house, Lucy Co]rell by Electa Eddy in 1880. In 1885, Charles and Margaret Eddy mortgaged the property for $ 9,000, and the following year sold it to John Egmont Schermerhorn for $25,000. The furnishings of the house were included in this sale, with the excep:on of several items men:oned speciﬁcally in the deed, the family and household silver and linens, and the “ ar:cles of bricabrac of a personal and ornamental character”. Mr. Schermerhorn named the house “The Lanai”, perhaps referring to its original porches. Frank and Mary Newton acquired the property in 1992.
2 Kemble Frederick T. Frelinghuysen House Kemble Inn 1881 This Colonial Revival style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and is intact. 5-‐bay, center entrance, wood frame; hipped roof dormers w/scrolled pediments -‐ 2 on front, paired on sides; 3 massive brick chimneys w/ﬂared tops, painted white -‐2 side wall on main building. Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, who served as Secretary of Treasury under Chester A. Arthur, built this house in 1881. The house was handsomely furnished, and the Frelinghuysen’s entertained lavishly, with former President Arthur among their many guests. The house was subsequently owned by Thatcher Adams, who renamed it “Sundrum House” R.J. Flick purchased the property in the early 1930’s and lived in it while his estate “Uplands”, was under construc:on. It was then sold to Mrs. Charles F. Basse] who gave the school to the Lenox School for Boys for use as a dormitory. The property was purchased by John Reardon in 1993 and converted to an inn. Most recently, in 2010, Sco] Shor] purchased the Kemble Inn and has made extensive renova:ons.
12 Housatonic Le Heritage George C. Haven Co]age – Elm Co]age 1881 This Gothic Revival/Queen Anne style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been signiﬁcantly altered. It has a wood frame with wood clapboard siding; Jerkin-‐head gable roof & dormer roofs. This was one of two buildings known as the Elm Co]ages, built by George C. Haven on Main St., just north of the Lenox Library (Second County Courthouse). The land containing the county jail, jailer’s house, and a county barn, had been sold to Thomas Post, Joseph Tucker, Andrew Servin and Henry Bishop by the “Inhabitants of Berkshire County” in 1871, aRer the County seat had moved to Pi]sﬁeld. Post sold his por:on of the lot to George C. Haven in 1881, at which :me Haven mortgaged the property for $6,250 and built two large summer co]ages. This one was rented to W. C. Schermerhorn, who purchased the house in 1887. In 1910, the building was moved to its present site Frank C. Hagyard when he built the drugstore at the corner of Main and Housatonic Streets.
17 Housatonic Jacob Washburn House 1825 This Federal style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been altered. Brick construc:on laid up in Flemish bond; front gable roof with eave returns; gabled entrance canopy with large scroll sawn support brackets, pendants in Italianate style (early addi:on). This was the Washburn homestead, probably build by Jacob Washburn, who married the daughter of Samuel Northrup, an early se]ler in 1786. Jacob was a prosperous farmer with a large family and it seems likely that he build the house aRer establishing himself in Lenox. He died at age 62 in 1828, but his wife and children survived him and con:nued to prosper. His children and grand-‐children became some of the largest property owners in Lenox. The house remained in the Washburn family through the nineteenth century. Mrs. Thomas Morse was the last Washburn to own it.
27 Housatonic First County Courthouse 1791 This undetermined style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been altered. It is a wood frame building with small den:ls along molded cornice; hipped roof; 3-‐bays facing Housatonic St. façade at 2nd ﬂoor and a rear wall chimney on North side. Built in 1791, this building originally stood just west of the present Town Hall. This was the ﬁrst County Courthouse, built several years aRer the county seat was moved from Great Barrington to Lenox in 1784. When the new County Courthouse was built in 1815 (now the Lenox Library) this building became the Town Hall and Post Oﬃce, and remained in that capacity throughout the 19th century. In 1901 the present Town Hall was built, and this structure was moved two years later to its current loca:on by Thomas Post. George Therner purchased it shortly thereaRer for use as a business block and apartments.
94 Church Mathew Colbert House Built 1853 Greek/Gothic Revival This Greek Revival/Gothic Revival style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and is intact. The original part of the house has 2-‐bays, a wood frame, cross-‐gable and a brick center chimney. There is wood clapboard siding, corner pilasters and extra large entablatures on the sides. This lot was originally part of the Henry Cook estate, which he developed and sold in the 1840’s and 50’s. This property was purchased by Ma]hew Colbert in 1853. The Colbert family also owned the house at 100 Church Street.
81 Walker William C. Wharton House -‐ M. E. Rogers Pine Acres House 1885 Queen Anne Style This Queen Anne style building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and has been altered. There is a 7-‐bay, center entrance. The building has wood frame construc:on with a hipped roof and 2 large brick interior chimneys. The ﬁrst ﬂoor has wood clapboard siding and shingle cladding on the second ﬂoor. Mrs. M. E. Rogers of Philadelphia had this house built in 1885, for use as a summer residence. In 1892 it was sold to Nancy W. Wharton who summered here with her daughter. Mrs. Wharton’s son, Edward, was married to novelist Edith Wharton who was to become one of the most illustrious residents of Lenox. ARer spending several summers in Newport, Edith Wharton, displeased with both the climate and the lack of intellectual life there, came to Lenox. She stayed at “Pine Acres” while the Mount was being built.
64 Walker Walker House Judge William Walker House 1804, 1906 This Federal style building has two stories, a slate roof and is intact. There are 5-‐bay, and a hipped roof w/dormers. There are 3 large brick end wall chimneys on main house-‐-‐2 on the leR, 1 on the right. This house was built for Judge William Walker, a judge in the Berkshire County Courts. The house later passed on to the Rockwell family, which also included a County Judge, Julius Rockwell. The Rockwell family retained ownership un:l 1906 when the property was acquired by the Cur:s family, who also owned the Cur:s Hotel. In the 1960’s, the house was given to Bordentown Lenox School by Clinton O. Jones, Mr. Cur:s’s son-‐in-‐law. It was used as a dormitory un:l 1973 when it was sold for use as a private residence. In 1980 it was purchased by Margaret and Richard Houdek who converted the house into a B & B called Walker House.
88 Walker Trinity Episcopal Church 1888 This Romanesque style building has two stories, a red slate roof and is intact. It has asymmetrically organized facades with an irregular footprint. The main sec:on (nave & narthex) has a 3-‐bay wide front & is 6 bays deep. The cornerstone was laid in 1885 by Reverend Jus:n Field, assisted by the former US President, Chester A. Arthur. Many other noted craRsmen worked on various parts of the church , such as Tiﬀany and Co. which created many of the original windows. The church is listed on the Na:onal Register of Historic Places.
95 Old Stockbridge Rd Plumstead Plumstead 1810 This 2-‐story wood-‐framed Federal period house has received addi:ons and been remodeled such that the eclec:c Queen Anne category best reﬂects its amended style. The house began with a 5-‐bay, center entrance facade under a gable roof with slate shingles. Its second story slightly overhangs the ﬁrst ﬂoor. Plumstead was the ﬁrst site of the jail and the jailer’s house-‐ part of the structures were burned down by a prisoner in 1814. Plumstead was ﬁrst the summer home of Mr. Alfred Deveaus, who sold it to Mrs. Joesph Whistler. In 1940 the property was acquired by Mrs. Bruce W. Sandborn then descended to her son Carl Weyerhauser. In 1968, it was sold to a local lawyer, Mr. Charles Alber: (who is now re:red Superior Jus:ce Alber:). In 1978, the property was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Macioge. The Macioge’s sold the property in 1985 to Paul and Mirjana Draskovic, who are the current owners.
265 East Street Bartle] Farm c. 1810 This wood-‐framed Federal period house exhibits the classic characteris:cs of the type: gable roof, two stories, ﬁve bays, central entrance and large brick end wall chimneys. . Thomas Rockwell of Ridgeﬁeld, Ct. ﬁrst se]led in the Bartle] Farm, circa 1770. He is believed to have built a log house a few rods sought of the present dwelling. In 1795 Rockwell deeded the farm to Jeremiah Osborn, also of Ridgeﬁeld, CT. Osborn sold the property February 16 1797 to Zadock Hubbard. Hubbard built the frame house that is the rear ell of the present house. Allen Metcalf purchased the property in 1808. Originally from Sharon, Ct., Metcalf had se]led on the farm later owned by George O. Peck in about 1794. Metcalf was a joiner and a house builder who constructed the front 2.5 story part of the house in 1810. Edmand Dewey laid the cellar for him. Mr. Metcalf also ran the Lenox Coﬀee House. Later his son, Allen C. Metcalf, purchased the Sabin Farm of 50 acres south of his father. Allen C. Metcalf died in 1846 and his father and mother moved to Ohio. John Kellogg purchased the property and stayed for 2 years. The farm was then purchased by William Bartle] in 1849. B.F. Bartle] inherited the farm upon his father’s death on July 6, 1857. A ﬁre on June 24, 1881 destroyed the Old Sabin barn, house and shop. The present house narrowly escaped
169 Under Mountain Stonover Farm 1890 The property contains a complex of farm buildings, almost all of which exhibit the architectural characteris:cs of the Arts and CraRs style. The farmhouse is two stories in height, has a 5-‐bay front façade, and is two bays deep. Stonover Farm was built in 1890 by John Parsons as the farm house for the Parsons Estate, Stonover on Yokun Avenue. The house was maintained by Mr. Herbert Parsons, a New York Congressman and his wife Elsie Crews (who was one of the ﬁrst female anthropologists, AH). They lived there with their daughter who maintained the property aRer their death, Mrs. John d. Kennedy. Mrs. Kennedy leR the property to Mr. Herbert Pa]erson of New York. ARer his death he leR the property to his secretary. The property was then purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Dovydenas. Since the :me of the August 31, 1988 Form B. The property without the barn was transferred to Lawrence and Rosemary Geller in 1990. Tom and Suky Werman purchased the house in 2000 and the barn in 2003 and have made extensive renova:ons to convert Stonover Farm into a renowned Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Belvoir Terrace Morris K. Jesup Banker-‐Philanthropist President of the American Museum of Natural History Jesup North Paciﬁc Expedi:on 1897-‐1902 Franz Boas in charge of JNPE Boas’ ﬁrst female PhD student Elsie Crew Parsons
317 Under Mountain Janet’s House C 1790, 1820, 1850, 1906, 1970, 1980 Greek Revival This 2-‐story, 3-‐bay, wood frame house has a front gable roof with pediment. Although built in an earlier period, the house has been remodeled in the Colonial Revival style c. 1900. The front door surround has an entablature, plain pilasters, 2/3-‐length sidelights with panels below. This house could have possibly belonged to the Pine Needles Estate. The main house and buildings were owned by Mr. George Daty Blake. At the :me of his wife’s death the property was sold. In 1969 this house was sold to Rose Barash. In 1971, the name transferred to Seymour and Rosalyn Barash. They sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Nadig. The current owners purchased the property in 1978. They are Roger D. and Janet H. Pumphrey.
Almost Done Jim Biancolo working to provide the ﬁnishing touches. Cross checking diﬀerence between old and new Standardize nota:on Add Assessor’s data to Historical Narra:ve Match property names with MACRIS Complete any missing informa:on
But that’s not all, folks LHC is busy on numerous other projects: Historic Street Signs in the HD Special thanks to Jim Biancolo
But that’s not all, folks LHC is busy on numerous other projects: Expansion of Historic Streetlights Special Thanks to Suzanne Pelton
But that’s not all, folks LHC is busy on numerous other projects: Church on the Hill Cemetery Project Special thanks to Lucy Kennedy
But that’s not all, folks LHC is busy on numerous other projects: Demoli:on Delay By-‐law Special thanks to Olga Weiss
Back to the Future Sestercentennial Semiquincentennial Bicenquinquagenary Quarter-‐millennial