2. AGRICULTURE AS PRIMARY INDUSTRY• INDUSTRY = ACTIVITIES THAT PEOPLE CARRY OUT TO PRODUCE GOODS/SERVICES• TYPES OF INDUSTRY: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary• Primary industry: activities that make use of Earth’s natural resources• E.g. Agriculture, fishing, mining, forestry
3. WHAT IS AGRICULTURE?• Farming• Cultivation of crops and rearing of animals for food/raw materials
4. AGRICULTURE AS A SYSTEMInputs Processes Outputse.g. soil, rainfall e.g. water the crops e.g. fruits,land, seeds, fertilise, remove of flowers, newPesticides, weeds, maintain seeds, egg,Fertilisers crops animals
5. ENDURING UNDERSTANDING• Agriculture can be classified according to a farm’s purpose, the inputs required, and the outputs generated from the processes.
6. FARM’S PURPOSE• Subsistence farming*: mostly to feed themselves / immediate family. (not sold for cash)• Commercial farming*: to be sold for cash.e.g. rubber, oil palm plantations, wheat farms
7. environment labour Set-up costs, machiner y, etc FARM’S INPUTS (PHYSICAL, HUMAN, CAPITAL)• Small farm + a lot of input = intensive farmingE.g. wet rice cultivation.• Large farm + few inputs = Extensive farmingE.g. Wheat farms
8. FARM’S OUTPUT• Arable farming: Produces only cropsE.g. Wet Rice cultivation• Livestock farming: Only rears animals• Mixed farming: Produce both crops and animals