Click for page continue
2. The outside of the restaurant
3. Water Banquet
Luoyang Water Banquet were really unique, different from other dishes of Chinese food,
and have been developed for thousands of years.
There are two meaning of the words “Water Banquet”. Firstly, unlike the usual custom in
China, the dishes served during this banquet are brought one after another, like flowing
water, hence the name “Water Banquet”. The second reason is that almost one third of
the dishes are accompanied by different soups.
The dishes of a Water Banquet are served in an interesting way. There are 24 dishes in
all. First served are eight cold dishes: four meats and four vegetables. Another four
dishes are reserved for the end of the meal. The remaining 12 dishes are brought up in
four groups, each consisting of three dishes that are similar in taste, one of which is the
main dish and the other two are side dishes. This way of serving is amusingly called "a
father taking his two sons to court".
What is the must to taste in Luoyang? Of course, the Water Banquet, which sure make
your the greatest satisfaction, so that the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and all-round
Currently, as a national intangible cultural heritage, Luoyang Water Banquet is famous at
home and abroad. If want to taste the most authentic Water Banquet, suggest you going
to the Zhenbutong (really different) Restaurant. The private room is rather antique, with
many ancient potteries.
8. Tang Dynasty state banquet tableware
9. The Books about Water Banquet 有關水席的書籍
10. First, 8 cold dishes are served.
首先上 8 個涼菜。
11. All these are one of the eight cold dishes. 這些都是 8 道涼菜之一。
12. The another one of the 8 cold dishes, looks like a book.
另外的 8 道涼菜之一，看起來像一本書。
13. After the cold dish, there were soups
and all kinds of main dishes.
Peony Yan Cai
14. The first dish, Peony Yan Cai (one small bowl per person). Peony Yan Cai is made of
radish shreds, chicken shreds, minced pork and other vegetables simmered in soup,
making it taste like succulent bird's nest soup (Yan Wo). Its appearance seems to be a
blooming peony, very beautiful.
15. Water Banquet menu of Zhenbutong (really different) Restaurant
26. A eunuch dressed people come in, read the
“imperial edict” and the welcome words.
31. The attendant dressed in palace
costume of Tang Dynasty.
Chinese Music : 其實你不懂我的心
The photos taken by Yuemei Xu & Jean Zhang