Transcript of "Meet open source portals Barcamp Presentation"
WHAT IS PORTAL
Portal is a web application where you can personalize every
thing as you need. Like themes, layout, position of
applications, creating pages, add or remove application from
page,(it is up to the permission of the user)
• Yahoo etc.
OPEN SOURCE PORTALS
Pluto (Apache foundation)
(Reference Implementation of the Java Portlet Specification)
Jet Speed (Apache foundation)
(Enterprise Implementation of java Portal)
Jboss Portal (Jboss community)
(discontinued the support after 2010)
Liferay Portal (Liferay community)
GateIn Portal (Partnership between Jboss
community and exo)
BASIC PORTAL FEATURES
Dynamic look and feel
CMS (Content Management)
Workflow for CMS and documents
Easy Integration with other application and
platform like (LDAP authentication, social APIs
What Liferay Provides you.
• All the Basic Portal features in one place (From Last
• Simple Drag Drop features of application on the page
• Page and layout management
• User Management
• Virtual site creation
• User Groups Management
• Organization Management
• Integration with social API like Google facebook.
• Roles and Permission framework
Portal level, Organization level, or user level
• Liferay Marketplace (to install liferay out of the box
• Liferay Sync
• Liferay social office (means work as a team)
• Team calendar
• Document and media Sharing
Liferay Development and customization.
1. Provide Portlet 1.0 and Portlet 2.0 API
2. Custom Portlet plugin Development
3. Theme and layout Development
4. Customize liferay itself using Hook plugin
5. Customize Liferay core functionality using EXT
Liferay supports all the Java Frameworks
• Struts1.x (for out of the box portlets)
• Spring2.x (for service layer implementation)
• Hibernate3.x (as ORM framework)
• Apache Axis (for exposing the web services from portal)
These framework are the base of Liferay
Other than that we can integrate any java framework in
Integration with other application
• Use ESB for one point of integration with other
• Using Mule ESB or Service mix by default.
• Integration with LDAP, Alfresco, SharePoint, BPMN as
easy only the properties file entry changes in portal-
• Integration with services like salesforce, google services,
dropbox and other services can be easily integrate with
the help of ESB.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.