The 14 Ministers You Need To KnowShould Be JailedBangalore: Hardening its stand again after the Assembly elections, Team Annamoved from setting deadlines for the Lokpal Bill to naming Union ministers with atainted reputation. They warned of a nationwide „jail bharo‟ agitation in August ifcriminal cases were not filed against 14 Union Ministers on charges of corruptionand criminal intimidation. The team said that the dates would be announced later.Team Anna addressed crowds at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, the venue of a fast todemand protection for whistleblowers campaigning against corruption. Team Annaalso demanded investigation of allegations against 1,300 elected representatives(MPs as well as MLAs) across the country against whom criminal charges have beenleveled.Arvind Kejriwal, the core member of Team Anna, named the 14 Union Ministerswho, he alleged, were “corrupt.” He himself had no direct evidence of wrongdoing ontheir party, but there have been allegations in newspapers and on television, and theyneeded to be investigated.Indian Express listed out the 14 Union Ministers whom Kejriwal named corrupt andthe specific charges against them. (SiliconIndia takes no stand on these allegations,but just lists out the names as given by Kejriwal. As it is in the public domain, it canevoke a public discourse and/or litigation.
1. P Chidambaram:Chidambaram was one of the 14 ministers on the list, for his alleged controversialrole in the 2G scam, and the charge that his wife (a lawyer) defended a Kolkatabusinessman named Kashinath Tapuria in an income tax claim of 580 crore.Last year in September, referring to Chidambaram‟s involvement in the scam, anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare said "Had there been a Jan Lokpal now,Chidambaram would have been in jail." Referring to the same, Kejriwal named himon the list. 2. Kapil Sibal:
Kapil was on the list of the corrupt ministers for allegedly lowering Rs 650 crore fineon Reliance Communication to Rs 5 crore. He was accused of favoring Anil Ambani-owned Reliance Infocomm.Anna Hazare had then appealed to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to takeaction against Union Telecom minister Kapil Sibal, and expressed grief that frivolouslitigations were being filed to settle personal scores. He also said that he himselfwould enquire into the matter and bring out details about the HRD Minister. 3. Praful Patel:Praful Patel was also on the list for his alleged role in running Air India to the groundwhen he was civil aviation minister.
4. Sharad Pawar:Sharad Pawar was named as well for his alleged “links” with Abdul Karim Telgi in theMaharashtra stamp duty scam.He was named by Abdul Karim Telgi, during a narcoanalysis test, stating that it wasPawar‟s idea to print fake stamp papers across the country and mint money. Pawarwas also accused in a multi-crore scam concerning wheat imports and institutionsheaded by him and his close associates were served notices by the Bombay HighCourt for showing favoritism to his family.6. Kamal Nath:Kamal Nath, the Union Cabinet Minister of Urban Development, made it on the hitlist too over allegations relating to the rice export. The alleged 2, 500-crore riceexport scam of 2008-09 took place in his watch.
10. Ajit Singh:Ajit Singh makes it on the hit list too for charges that in 2008, when UPA 1government was tottering after Left parties withdrew support over the Indo-UScivilian nuclear deal; he supported the government for a monetary consideration.The Wikileaks claim that during the nuclear deal trust vote, he had charged Rs 10crore per MP to vote for the UPA government. 11. GK Vasan:
GK Vasan is a prominent Congress leader from Tamil Nadu and is on the corruptminister list for allegedly giving away 16,000 acres near Kandla Port of Gujarat at aloss of Rs 2 lakh crore to the exchequer.Vasan instead called these allegations "baseless" and pointed out that he was not incharge of the ministry when the alleged irregularities surfaced in 2008. He wasquoted saying to the Hindustan Times "Allegation regarding irregularities in KandlaPort Trust Lease of Land case are totally baseless and there is no truth in it. Whenthe report by CVO of the Port Trust was originally given in 2008, I was not theMinister of Shipping." 7. Farooq Abdullah:Farooq Abdullah is on the list for alleged financial irregularities in the J&K CricketAssociation.
The JKCA headed by union minister of new and renewable energy Dr FarooqAbdullah, is facing charges of grave financial irregularities and mismanagement. 50crore is said to have been diverted to different accounts opened in the name of theJKCA by its officials to mint money, which comes as subsidies to promote sports andparticularly cricket. 8. Sushilkumar Shinde and VilasraoDeshmukh :Sushilkumar Shinde and Vilasrao Deshmukh, both are on the Kejriwal list of corruptministers for their role in the Adarsh housing scam and a land allotment allegationagainst Deshmukh.Adarsh Housing Society, a cooperative society in the city of Mumbai, was supposedto be reserved for the war widows and veterans of the Kargil War. However, it cameto light that houses in the society were not given to the presumed beneficiaries, buttaken over by politicians, bureaucrats and top ranking military personnel. There areallegations that former chief ministers of Maharashtra, Sushilkumar Shinde andVilasrao Deshmukh were also involved in the scam.
5. SM Krishna:SM Krishna made it on the list of 14 ministers too for his alleged involvement in theKarnataka mining scam. An FIR was filed against him by Karnataka Lokayukta forallegedly de-reserving large forest areas for mining in Bellary as the Chief Minister ofKarnataka in 1999-2004. 12. Sriprakash Jaiswal:
Sriprakash makes it on the list for alleged irregularities in the allocation of coalblocks. This allotment of coal blocks gave undue benefits to scores of companiescausing an enormous loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore to the nations exchequer.The Coal Minister in his defence said "We gave advertisements for allocation of coalblocks and invited applications...after the applications were received by us (CoalMinistry), the state governments were consulted and thereafter the coal blocks wereallocated," as reported Business Today. 13. MK Azhagiri:MK Azhagiri makes it on the hit list for alleged attacks on political rivals. He wasalso accused of conspiring in the murder of the former DMK Minister, T. Kiruttinan.
14. Virbhadra Singh:Virbhadra Singh is the Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. He is oneamong the fourteen ministers named by Kejriwal, for assorted allegations of bribery.